Cat shivering

Sakemom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My baby girl (4y/o) has intermittently shivered most of her life. I have brought it up to vets multiple times but they never really take it into consideration. They’ve said she’s probably just cold but it just doesn’t seem right to me. She’s recently had blood work and xrays done and nothing was significant to the vet. Although a few levels were considered low that had to do with her liver. However the vet did not seem concerned about this. I posted a video to show her shivering. I go to a pretty good vet that specializes in cats only in Newport Beach and I trust them. But I just want to be sure I’m not missing anything.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sakemom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m trying to post a video, give me a second while I figure it out! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sakemom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sake shaking
Here is a link to the video. I had to upload it on YouTube.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. As said above, if it is only happening while she is sleeping, it is likely not anything to be worried about, especially if it has not gotten any worse over her 4 years. Feeby (15+ yo) twitches/jerks when starting to go to sleep/sleeping, but it has never progressed throughout her life. So, while the vet thinks she might have a slight neurological order (as opposed to dreaming), he has said he sees no reason to be concerned unless it would become worse.

Not sure about the AST/ALT levels - most of the time the issue is when they are elevated more so than a little low. Just something to keep an eye on over time. Perhaps, another set of blood work in a year or so?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Small dogs, like Chihuahuas, often shiver when they are nervous or stressed but I've never seen a cat shiver in such a way.
I don't think this applies to your cat.

However, since she only does it while sleeping I think we can chalk it up to something like a hypnic jerk that happens with some people, just as they are falling asleep. I noticed that she twitched then seemed to wake up, after. That would signal, to me, that it is something like a hypnic jerk happening to your cat.

If this is the case, I don't think that it's harmful in any way except that it might interrupt her sleep in some cases.

If your cat seems to get enough sleep and these twitches don't interrupt her sleep, too much, I wouldn't worry about it.

Maybe you could show that video to your vet and ask whether they think it's something like a feline version of a hypnic jerk.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did the vet say that her kidneys were in trouble? Sometimes kidney kitties shiver like that because the kidneys aren't able to process out the toxins in the body efficiently.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is she sleeping/falling asleep in that video? Cats frequently twitch and shiver like that when they’re asleep and dreaming.

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, I've dealt with this too! My cat has done this on/off from time to time when falling asleep (not sleeping, but just when about to sleep) since I adopted her at 4 months old. She does do it less now (about to turn 2), but I notice it and have, like you, brought it up to vets without getting much response OR being told that's them dreaming. It's not dreaming, those are different movements. It's frustrating to be told that by vet even when showing video where they are clearly awake/not in REM sleep :hmmm: This is a "clenching" or shiver like you said. Mine does it mostly in her shoulders and if she is resting on me or I put my hand on her I can feel the quiver even more than can see it. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

Does she do it most days, certain times of day, anything like that? I notice my girl do it occasionally, mostly at night though. More often if she is sleeping in certain positions too....I guess at this point, like others said, if it doesn't worsen it might just be that some cats do this when falling asleep. My cats hasn't worsened. I've at times wondered if she tends to do it more if/when her tummy is upset? But since attempts at feline telepathy have yielded no results, I dunno. Like you, I would really like to know why or if it could be sign of something problematic...the kidney thing freaks me out. What Casper's says about hypnic jerks is something I've come across when searching so maybe its that??

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a girl who does this even when awake. She started when she was about 2 and is now 12 years old. The vet never found a cause, but I think it is a neurological issue because this girl has, to put it nicely, behavior issues. She is dangerous to groom so I keep her shaved down (She is Persian). No touching unless it is her idea or she will draw blood. She was born here and stayed due to her behavior, and we love her as she will allow. I couldn't risk her going to a pet owner who couldn't handle her. Since your baby is normal (Unlike my Maggie) I wouldn't worry about it to much. Just keep up with the blood work and vet visits to spot any potential problems as he gets older.