Cat shivering after surgery

MissR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
My cat had lump removal on Wednesday. She didn't sleep 24 hours (now she has). I noticed yesterday that she is shivering a little bit, she still do it sometimes. She gets pain killers every morning. She eats, drinks, urinates and did one poop yesterday. She is relaxing and sleeping all day (probably because she was awake for 24 hours)
Is it possible that she is shivering because she has pain? Or is it because anesthesia?

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be a side affect of the anesthetic wearing off, which can take up to a couple of days. Also anesthesia can disrupts a cat's temperature temporarily, and dilates the blood vessels, which can cause the kitty to feel cold too. It could also be nervousness or anxiety after a scary time leaving the home for a big trip to the vet.

If she is otherwise OK, and is eating, going to the potty, and sleeping well, it sounds like a normal reaction that will go away very soon. When one of my kitty's got spayed last summer, she also shivered a little bit the first day but then it passed.

Keep her warm and cozy; extra blankets, a little safe heater, warmed food, turning the heat up in the room a tad, cuddle with you etc If the shivering doesn't go away after another day or two then contact the vet then.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Call your vet and ask for advice. Anesthesia can cause a drop in body temperature which is why patients are kept warm during and after surgery. The anesthesia effect should have worn off by now. You can offer a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel if you think your cat might be a little cold. Shivering isn't usually a sign of pain if pain medicine is being given.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MissR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What is the name of the pain medication?
Meloxidyl. She vomited today after I gave it to her and I called the vet and they said to stop giving it to her.
And she hasn't shivered anymore too. But she sleeps a lot. She is eating wet food, using her litter box and played with me a little bit today. She even responded when I shaked her wet food pack.
I hope she is completely herself soon :)