Cat Shelves

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Those look cool! I've been looking at similar models online, but have been kind of unsure if I should actually purchase some for Charlie, not sure how the suction cups would hold up after a 12-pound kitty jumping on the shelf (probably many times per day, Charlie is a big jumper, lol). I'll be curious to hear other members' experiences.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

madzoya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's my question too! Bruce is now around 8 pounds, but he will get bigger.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
Freya LOVES her window shelves. I have them in all my street side windows.

I've had good results with the K&H brand , I have that model in both the single and double decker, and Freya loves it. I also have the Fleece window sill one from the same company, but Freya seems to like it less than the suction cup ones ( though that may just be that she likes he kitchen less (unless the window is open, then she stays glued there all night...)

Also, if you put a bird feeder outside the window (bird feeders are a bit of work, but surprisingly fun in their own right, so that is a consideration), most cats will love it even more (apparently a minority of cats find being unable to catch the birds stressful instead of fun, so be aware of that.) Another, even easier (and cheaper) option for added fun is to attach a Cat Dancer Compleat to the window above for something to bat at...

Here is freya on hers ( and yes that's a squirrel on the ground, she absolutely loves those..)

Last edited:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Hey Sargon, do you mind telling me how mych Freya weighs? Do you think the shelves would support a 12-pound kitty? Thanks!

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
Freya is eight or nine pounds of lanky teenage kitty madness, I believe, but I haven't weighed her lately(and I use a cheapo heavy package scale, so it's not hat accurate). Sometimes she jumps into hers at full speed and force), and it has always handled that. I think that the single would be fine for a 12lb cat, but if you are worried, go with the double decker, which is designed to hold a lot more weight and has six, rather than four suction cups, and which seems even more fun for cats than the single. Another option is to use the kind that screws into the sill, since that also will hold more weight.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have three total weight would be around 22-29.5lbs hitting full force. Either the shelf would come down or they'd knock the glass out of the frame. I'm also considering the dynamics of the one cat that picked all my window clings off for fun. The engineering is solid but it would depend on your cat. I have a set of industrial shot shelves that we use as a cat tree.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to have some window sill shelves, decades ago. They had to attach at the sill, for extra support; there were a couple of legs that went down to brace against the wall, and they attached to the window by means of a suction cup. They were not cheap, and they were total junk. I can't honestly imagine that at some point they managed to get one to actually stay in place long enough for a kitten to use it to look out the window, let alone for a full grown cat to take a nap in the sun.

The main things to look for are how they attach and what kind of refund policy the store has. If the primary, weight-bearing attachment is a suction cup, forget it. If it looks like it has some more solid, workable method of attachment, and good reviews, and a good guarantee, and the seller has a good reputation, go for it.

Margret

Megan S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I believe I have that exact window perch. I got mine on Amazon and I remember the picture. My cat spends most of her day on it. She's small (6lbs) but the suction cups on that perch are crazy strong! It says it can hold 50lbs and I believe it! I have noticed it gets weaker when you move it a lot so I would recommend you put it someplace that it can stay for a while. But I HIGHLY recommend that perch! I got mine for under $15 on Amazon.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats have those. Carrot (12 pounds) regularly lays in one with Ruby (8 additional pounds) so they hold weight fairly well. Just make sure the suction cups are stuck on really well.

IMG_6725.JPG

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Our cats have those. Carrot (12 pounds) regularly lays in one with Ruby (8 additional pounds) so they hold weight fairly well. Just make sure the suction cups are stuck on really well.

View attachment 187395
Good to know! So it should work for my Charlie. How did you make sure that the suction cups were firmly attached? Did you clean the window before?

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good to know! So it should work for my Charlie. How did you make sure that the suction cups were firmly attached? Did you clean the window before?
Clean the window before and then get each suction cup damp with a cloth. Test them thoroughly before letting cats jump up. It sometimes takes a bit to get them to stick, but then once they're stuck they stay really well.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Clean the window before and then get each suction cup damp with a cloth. Test them thoroughly before letting cats jump up. It sometimes takes a bit to get them to stick, but then once they're stuck they stay really well.
How long have they stuck?

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The one on my sliding glass door has been there for five months now. It was only moved before that since we moved houses. In the old house they didn't stick as well (lots of moisture on the windows of the home) but still stayed for months at a time, I would just check them and readjust when washing windows.