Cat Shelves - A great idea !

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

I've seen some neat looking cat shelves on Moderncat (www.moderncat.net)
They have several DIY projects using shelves too: http://www.moderncat.net/category/diy/

Also--
"Refined Feline" cat shelves
http://www.therefinedfeline.com/

"Urban Pet Haus"
http://www.urbanpethaus.com/content/perch.htm

"Curve" pet bed
http://www.akemitanaka.com/curve.htm

I know - I saw those when I was planning my wall... but........... one detail........$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
They are awesome though, if you have the cash, and a modern looking home - neither one applies here...
BTW - don't you love that website - I love them!!

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think this looks great but how do you keep them from going from the wall to the counters? I am a stickler about no animals on the tables/counters and I fear this would lead to "other" climbing. Do you find this to be true? I guess I could do it in a hall or bedroom where there is no eating surface. Besides that, I don't want my living room to be decorated for the cats...its already decorated for the kids

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's funny... I don't have that problem here.... maybe I am one of the lucky ones... but no kitties on kitchen counters or tables for me...

But I hear you on the decoration issue - I am definitely the maid, can opener, poop-scooper, automatic cuddler and rent payer of the household

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Funny how that happens. We really aren't the boss, as much as I like to think I am. I have a corner in my living room I could do some corner shelves...neat!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I did one shelf for my girls as an alternative way to get down from the cat tree, and I'm thinking of doing more.

We had a shelf from an old bookcase we don't use anymore, so I just went to Home Depot, and bought 2 ft of carpet runner which was a couple of dollars a foot, and used heavy duty rounded (u-shaped) staples, and hammered the carpet in on the sides. Because the staples are rounded, there's no sharp edges to worry about.

Then I just put brackets into the studs, attached them to the ledge and voila - cat ledge for about $5. They love it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

russiankitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

I know!!!! Fun fun fun!!! Its like having your own climbing wall.... only for the kitties
details!!!!

Have you seen the Cat's house? AWWWWW MEN! And now they do projects for houses, shelters, rescues....

http://www.thecatshouse.com/
Ooooh!! Look at those snazzy high level walkways and the way they have a cut at the top of the wall that travels through the house

As soon as I got my own place
I am sure having that !!!! MEOW !!!

I also love those shelves from urban pet house. I think they look so stylish.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I did one shelf for my girls as an alternative way to get down from the cat tree, and I'm thinking of doing more.

We had a shelf from an old bookcase we don't use anymore, so I just went to Home Depot, and bought 2 ft of carpet runner which was a couple of dollars a foot, and used heavy duty rounded (u-shaped) staples, and hammered the carpet in on the sides. Because the staples are rounded, there's no sharp edges to worry about.

Then I just put brackets into the studs, attached them to the ledge and voila - cat ledge for about $5. They love it
That's Awesome.... now they are hooked.... and you too!

gabbys girl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, 

Thank you so much for your cat shelves idea. I have been researching and looking at cat furniture sites to add a walk way in my bedroom for my cat, Gabby, I love working with power tools and found your input very useful. I also built my cat a tree from a branch on a tree we were forced to finish knocking down after Katrina hit it. I carried the branch in the trunk of my car from Orlando, Florida to NY just for him. The branch is three feet long and the box is 16" wide x 12" wide x 12" deep.  (see image below) Originally it had three shelves but I couldn't get it to stay on. Gabby loves it and it has become his habit, and mine, to wish me a good day each morning before I leave for work, or just go out. He is a beggar for treats. He gets one each time I leave, he jumps up and waits for his see you later treats! Good luck with your project!

Gabbys Girl

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great, thanks for sharing the pic!

icy87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you want to do it yourself I suggest making squares and rectangles. That way you can still decorate inside the boxes with books and/or picture frames etc, but the tops are carpeted and comfy for cats to jump on and exercise. You could also make square and rectangles and add holes on the sides so the kitty can go inside the box and maybe add some bedding there for a comfy kitty bed. 

I want to do this for my cat so badly!! but I can't because I live in a small rented apartment. Not enough room to do this and also since its rented, I don't want to have issues with the walls or whatever whenever we decide to leave. 

Below is a picture of more or less what I mean, but some changes are needed imo. 

meuzettesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I took apart some cabinet, that was just holding up some ol' clothes.The shelves are a foot wide. I think my cats would fall off narrow ones. Plus fall when lounging.I bought brackets strong enough for an air conditioner to sit on. All that jumping...that is too much weight flying around on them. No pictures yet. They been up for a month and still there. I only spent three dollars for the brackets at Wal- Mart. The deck screws I have on hand at all times.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I know!!!! Fun fun fun!!! Its like having your own climbing wall.... only for the kitties
details!!!!

Have you seen the Cat's house? AWWWWW MEN! And now they do projects for houses, shelters, rescues....

http://www.thecatshouse.com/
I'm so glad I found this thread!  We've been talking about cat shelves/walkways and www.catshouse.com is so inspiring!  We have decorated our home similarly, lots of bright colors and Mexican folk art so I can really see some of their ideas working for our house.  Can't wait to get some up.