Cat shaking head and licking lips.

jc21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two 3 year old cats Coco and Mimi, and I'm currently free feeding kibble  and wet food twice a day. I know bad cat mommy. A few weeks ago Mimi started throwing up right after eating her wet food (fish). She was fine when I fed her chicken or turkey. I stopped getting them fish for a few days and tried it again thinking I could've been a bad batch. I went to a different store and got the same brand and same flavor and she was fine. I ran out of the fish flavor and kept feeding them poultry. Well, I went back to the first store where I got the cans that made Mimi throw up and both cats started licking their lips and shaking their heads after that. It has been 3 days since I stop feeding them the fish flavor and they are still licking their lips and shaking heads. I'm not sure what this could be. I tried to give them Pepcid and it helped for a few hours and then the lip licking came back. I'm really confused about this. Could this be allergies? 

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be a bad batch of food, you should take them to the vet. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jc21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I called my vet to make an appointment but they don't have any availability until Wednesday.

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Call your vet back, explain the situation, give him or her the symptoms and see what he or she says. 

jc21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats are feeling much better now. Coco is acting completely normal but Mimi has not pooped since Sunday around 10 pm. I have given her laxatone and 1/4 teaspoon of miralax yesterday and today. She seems happy and is eating. How long for the miralax to work?

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, I'm not from the US so I don't know the product but I see it works by osmosis, it brings water into the bowels. I wouldn't be surprised if whatever toxin your kitties ingested also dehydrated them a bit. Have a look at this advice about Miralax, she says that if your kitty hasn't been to the toilet for a week then she needs to go to the vet. 

I hope your kitty feels better soon. 

jc21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Success!!! Mimi just pooped. I changed their food when they were nauseous to royal canin digest sensitive (that was the only food they would eat after the bad experience with their regular food), they are still on it. I'd mix pumpkin purée with their regular food before they started feeling nauseous and stopped because I thought this could also be an issue. I will start adding pumpkin purée again to their food to keep things moving.

Moorspede, thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

Last edited: