Cat Shaking After Switching Food?

joyfulrose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,
So i recently just started transitioning my cats to some new food- Farmina Venison pumpkin and apple. (The old food is Fromm Gamebrid) Every time my cat eats from the Farmina she starts to shake/tremble and one of her ears starts to shake a lot as well. I'm so worried... Does any one know what this means? She has never done this before with any other food. Could it be an allergy to one of the ingredients? (she has had venison before- TOTW and she was fine with that) So I'm not sure what in the ingredients would be causing this?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i dont know, never saw anything like what you are describing. Maybe time for a vet visit? Could be something else going on?

If it seems to happen only when she eats the farmina i would take her off that. Feed her what she had been eating and having no problems with. If the trembling goes away it could well be that she had a reaction to something in the food. Might be some ingredient, not necessarily the protein. But if you think she is having a reaction i would not feed it to her.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely quit what you are feeding, it definitely sounds like an allergic reaction. I noticed on the ingredients list it has quite bit of herring, maybe that? It just isn't worth it to keep feeding it. There is SOMETHING in it that is affecting her!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

joyfulrose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yup. That is exactly what I did... I gave her the previous food she was eating and she was fine. It only happens when she eats the farmina. I have never seen any other cat react this way before when I switched foods. I have 3 other cats and they all ate the farmina with no problems it's just one of my cats who reacted this way. She is definitely allergic to something in the food(I also felt like maybe it was the herring as well cuz her previous food did not have any), it really worried me though so I stopped giving the rest of my cats the Farmina as well.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Stevie trembles when she eats sometimes. I had the vet check her teeth back when it started to happen and everything was fine, my vet assumed it was an excitement thing. After awhile though I’ve begun to think it’s because she gets anxious that Gizmo is going to steal her food. It usually only tends to happen with a food she really likes, she doesn’t want to have to share a single bite of it so she stress shivers.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Joyfulrose, if you continue to feed the others the farmina you might want to feed them in a different room from the one who trembles when she eats it. Cats will share food and allergies can be risky things. Some start as a small thing trembling and get worse. But at least this is something you can help her avoid.

If she's microchiped you might want to tell them that she has this allergy in case she escapes and someone is caring for her while waiting for you to come for her.