Cat seizures

adering

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has infrequent seizures. Maybe once every two to three months. I've had him checked by the vet. By the pretty expensive vet.
Here's the crazy-cat-person question. Until recently, the cat had two catmates in the house. Those two went with their human to grad school in the Midwest, so now it's just seizure cat in the house. And he hasn't had a seizure since. He got along with the other two cats, but I'm now wondering if anyone has ever heard any credible information concerning a cat being triggered by another cat.

Many thanks.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
What did the vet tell you was the cause of the seizures? I wanted to read this when I saw the thread because I have had two cats who had seizures, both caused by serious conditions, both surviving for only a short period of time. I am really relieved to hear that your cat has periodic seizures which I assume might be from an entirely different cause than what I experienced and that they are life threatening.

This is not seizure related, but I did have a cat years ago who was seriously incontinent...both ways. I tried to deal with it successfully and finally did; however, her best friend was another female cat who had serious fits of coughing and gagging...like asthma. Lots of vet visits until I figured out that the proximity of the second cat to the incontinent one was causing the coughing and as soon as things in the house were redesigned, the second cat never coughed again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adering

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet couldn't identify a cause. As I write this, I wonder if cats can have epilepsy from flashing lights, like people, because now the cat stays in a part of the house without any TV sets. ...
The vet was able to rule out a bunch of things: it wasn't an allergy, it wasn't blood-related, it wasn't, it wasn't, it wasn't. ... The "likely" cause is a brain defect or a benign tumor. The vet said that if it was his cat, he would wait until the seizures became more severe or more frequent, but that once every two to three months wasn't quite enough for him to advise opening the cat's skull to hunt for a tumor.
Whatever the cause is, the cat is six years old and doing fine. There are no symptoms or indications of a serious condition beyond the seizures themselves.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Interesting about the lights on the TV. Who knows but it would be great if that were the cause and now the seizures are in the past. I completely agree that you don't want to start to do invasive or risky procedures since you are not experiencing frequent seizures.