Cat seems to stalk kitten, it's concerning.

Sugar Plum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, due to the unexpected diagnosis and subsequent euthanasia of my bridge bunny, Rafaela Puff stayed much longer in her quarantine room than she otherwise would have - over three weeks, instead of two. I didn't want my cat, Holly, or Daisy, my other rabbit, to think she'd replaced him. Those three were an inseparable trio. Holly growled and hissed for two days. I heard at least eight growls and four hisses over the first two days.

I'm afraid to leave them alone together, so have been separating them. Sometimes Holly sneaks up on me when I'm holding her. She sits there staring from behind. It's disconcerting. The quarantine room is usually a no pets room, so was never her territory. The second day, I got some adult wet food with limited ingredients and some new bowls and took to giving her small amounts of wet food before the kitten got her wet food (the majority of Holly's food has to be hypoallergenic), and the growling and hissing immediately stopped, until today. She growled and hissed once.

What should I do? Prior to Rafaela Puff leaving quarantine, I'd actually never heard Holly growl or hiss. I don't know how to tell if they're getting along better or anything. I can't tell what level of direct interaction is safe. I've read the articles; they make it sound easy. I don't find it so and need help. Holly has never raised a paw, but she has this intense stare that I associate with hunting and have rarely seen with her. She has (had?) the lowest prey drive of any cat I've ever known. She doesn't even hunt fish and Daisy is less than half her weight. I trust them alone together.

Does anyone have any ideas? Should I videotape the stare?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No need to worry friend. Hissing at a new kitten is totally normal and can last a lot longer than 2 days, even if you have done an introduction. A cat can be hissing at a kitten, and still be interested, and want to see what the kitten is doing. Its vigilance. What is this little thing? What is it doing in MY territory! Fortunately, there is biological hard wiring for big cats not to hurt kittens! Its is very very rare for a big cat to intentionally hurt a kitten.

I've introduced several kittens to big cats over the years, and currently have a 4 year old and 13 week old kitten. He did exactly what you are describing. He hissed, but was interested. He followed, looking vigilant. That lasted, oh, like a week or so. And now they are friends and play very nicely.

When they do start to play, you might find the roughness disconcerting. Many do, but its rarely a true problem. A video would be good at that point.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd love to see a video.
I agree with A ArtNJ about the hissing. Hissing is just another way that cats communicate.
It can last a long time, from either cat.

If there is a large age difference, then the older cat may never fully play with a kitten, but that does not mean that they won't learn to peacefully co-exist. And they may end up playing, too.
I don't think there is any way to predict that. Unless the older cat has had many experiences with kittens, before.

Just remember to play with both the kitten, to tire her out, and also with your resident cat...so she feels equal time is given to both.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know if any of the articles you read were the TCS' ones on introductions, but you might want to take a look at them to see if you can implement a plan for Rafaela Puff and Holly. The process can only go as fast that the slowest adapting cat, so consider that when you move from step to step. See links to potentially applicable articles below.
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat
Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do)

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 2 year old resident cat and new 17 week kitten have been in each other's presence for 7 week now. It began with hissing an growling from both parties everyday. Fast forward to today, there's still a little hissing but they chase each other for about half an hour a day and are slowly becoming friends. Patience is key but I'm a very impatient person haha. In time, your kitties should be all good with each other and I'm just waiting for that day too :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sugar Plum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your replies! Yes, some of the articles were from TCS. Holly has experience with kittens. She was spayed by the humane society at 6.5 years and had had kittens of her own. I got her shortly after. Age is known, because she was adopted out as an unspayed kitten from them, so the microchip proved her age. She's 14.5. Raphaela Puff is estimated to be 10 weeks right now.

Here's a picture of her kitten-stare. Should I be concerned? There was no hissing, but she did wag her tail. Shortly after this, when my phone wasn't handy, she walked closer and hissed. Raphaela Puff has yet to growl or hiss. She just rolls over on her back or backs away slowly. Honestly, Holly looks a little sad in the photo, but that is her kitten-stare, with or without hisses or growls. What do I do to fix this? Do you think she'd harm the kitten?

Attachments

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Experience with kittens years ago is not necessarily relevant. Even if it was recent, her own kittens may just be a different thing. Just generally, as they age, some cats get inflexible regarding newcomers. She may or may not ever warm to the kitten. Almost always, there is some improvement over time, at the least, and they can get close to toleration.

As far as the stare goes, I already gave my opinion, but just to restate it, a little light hissing is nothing. Some cats do it only if the kitten gets close or tries to play ("back off"). Others actually seem to want to keep an eye on the kitten, following it around and hissing for no good reason ("this is my house! I'm watching you!") Either way, its nothing significant. Your introduction process is going normally and just fine. That doesn't mean they will ever get to friendship or even that things will improve all the much -- the jury is still out on that -- but at present there is still lots of hope.

No, the cat won't hurt the kitten. They almost never do, and when they do its almost always an accident associated with rough play.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your replies! Yes, some of the articles were from TCS. Holly has experience with kittens. She was spayed by the humane society at 6.5 years and had had kittens of her own. I got her shortly after. Age is known, because she was adopted out as an unspayed kitten from them, so the microchip proved her age. She's 14.5. Raphaela Puff is estimated to be 10 weeks right now.

Here's a picture of her kitten-stare. Should I be concerned? There was no hissing, but she did wag her tail. Shortly after this, when my phone wasn't handy, she walked closer and hissed. Raphaela Puff has yet to growl or hiss. She just rolls over on her back or backs away slowly. Honestly, Holly looks a little sad in the photo, but that is her kitten-stare, with or without hisses or growls. What do I do to fix this? Do you think she'd harm the kitten?
Holly is beautiful.:loveeyes:

I'm not really seeing a 'prey stare' or 'sad stare'.
To me, Holly just looks focused or curious...but you'd know her features better.:think:
(As ArtNJ had mentioned in his first post...I think that Holly is super curious about this new kitten, and has to keep an eye on her, ...to make sure she knows what Raphaela Puff is doing in her territory.)

The swishing of the tail, can just be a dominant sign, or even a distraction, to get the kitten's attention.
I don't think Holly would hurt Raphaela Puff, especially since you mentioned she has had experience with kittens.
Kittens sometimes move strangely for older cats, with hops and side-jumps...but since Holly has had exposure before, she might just be super curious about little Raphaela.

What you can try...is do an entire "room swap"...where Holly gets to go into Raphaela Puff's room, and thereby gets more used to her scent.

I would not disturb Holly's routine, too much...since she is the senior cat, and should always feel dominant.
If Holly likes treats, or special food, ...then you can always reward her with it...after every positive interaction.
Or even when Raphaela is in the same room. Holly may associate the treats with good things happening.
Even if it is just Holly sitting and watching Raphaela...that is a good thing.

Sugar Plum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, I’ll let them have a bit more freedom together tonight and see how it goes. Fingers crossed! 😃

Sugar Plum

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It went splendidly! You were right. Holly is a kitten training asset. She seems to use posture and vocalizations to keep Raphaela Puff in check. And she helps me. I'm not as fast as a kitten, obviously, and Raphaela Puff decided to vent her frustration at Holly's discipline on my ankles. Holly came to my rescue. :D She's instilling respect in the kitten for me too. How cool is that?