Cat Seems to Pee Only A Little

AppleBlue813

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Today I noticed my male cat making several trips to the litter box but leaving behind very little pee. I am 100% calling my vet tomorrow but what's odd is, he is currently on antibiotics as of Thursday due to bronchitis. Could it be the meds giving this side effect? Or is it possible the infection spread despite that fact he is on meds? I can't be sure if this started Friday or Saturday as I had to work and was out of the house most of the day both days. I can say this has startes very recently as I often clean the litter boxes and take note of how often they seem to be using the boxes just in case. Did this ever happen to someone before or is it just a coincidence that this issue pops up just as he starts meds for something else?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be stress related (cystitis), due to his illness or how he feels on the meds...Watch him like a HAWK, if he goes to the littler box and nothing comes out, get to the ER stat! Also if the antibiotics has caused some diarrhea, it could be that he also now has an infection if he did not clean himself properly, and some poop bacteria.....migrated. Not all antibiotics work depending on the type of infection.
Glad you'll be taking him to the vet, but like I said, you can't wait on this, especially if he stops producing or starts hiding, becomes lethargic or acting in any pain. It can go down hill real fast.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AppleBlue813

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I haven't seen any diarrhea and there is liquid coming out when he pees- about the circumference of a quarter maybe more. He hasn't been lethargic or anything but I'm def calling the vet in the morning. They gave me doxycycline to give orally for his bronchitis but I don't remember the name of the antibiotic shot.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a UTI, or could even be bladder stones possibly even obstructed. If it is bladder stones, then the meds won't help him. Antibiotics can be used for different things I would take him to the vet for sure!

wiz.k

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi can you please let me know if you have an update about your cat from the vet?
My 2 year olf female cat is doing the same. I have noticed she pees very little and frequently but not throughout the day, only at night.
She does not seem to show other symptoms of illness.
She seems to have regular energy. She is eating and drinking. I haven't seen her poop recently. I work long hours as well and not always possible to monitor litter box use. I have another cat and they both use 2 litter boxes so hard to tell whose poops I am scooping.

Any help is appreciated!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wiz.k wiz.k I would separate the one you suspect to have urinary issues into a small room like the bathroom, laundry room, bedroom even and get a real good idea of who is going and not going properly. Male cats like the OP has especially can and do block which is an absolute emergency. Get these cats off dry food and on canned diets for extra moisture, get water fountains, add water to the canned food, especially males. Don't take the chance of them blocking.

A AppleBlue813 could be partial blockage, or the beginning. Do not wait in getting the cat to the vet first thing. Good luck. Any abnormalities esp in male cats should be treated as very important.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AppleBlue813

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I definitely am tomorrow- his last couple trips have resulted in larger amounts of urine (not extraordinarily larger but def almost double the amount than earlier). I'm not taking any chances. I appreciate everyone's replies!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wiz.k wiz.k , this could also be a symptom of dehydration (not enough water in the system = not enough water to make pee); are your cats on wet or dry food?

Margret

wiz.k

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
wiz.k wiz.k , this could also be a symptom of dehydration (not enough water in the system = not enough water to make pee); are your cats on wet or dry food?

Margret
Hi Margaret,
My cats get wet food 3x a day and they have large water bowls and water fountain at their disposal. I do see her drink water usually.
Can someone tell me how a cat will act if in pain? She is not acting any different so I am a bit confused.
I have wasted a lot of money before taking my cats in for minor issues that simply resolved on their own.

wiz.k

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
wiz.k wiz.k I would separate the one you suspect to have urinary issues into a small room like the bathroom, laundry room, bedroom even and get a real good idea of who is going and not going properly. Male cats like the OP has especially can and do block which is an absolute emergency. Get these cats off dry food and on canned diets for extra moisture, get water fountains, add water to the canned food, especially males. Don't take the chance of them blocking.

A AppleBlue813 could be partial blockage, or the beginning. Do not wait in getting the cat to the vet first thing. Good luck. Any abnormalities esp in male cats should be treated as very important.
Hi Jen thanks for the advice. Yes my cats are on mainly wet food. They get Wellness chicken or salmon 3x a day and the dry food is there for snacking. They are given water bowls and a water fountain to drink from. My cat has not show any signs of pain or discomfort.
I am all about precaution too but I have made several panic visits to the vet before that didnt amount to anything

• Purraise
Reactions: jen