Cat Seems Scared At Night

SkittlesTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Around the 4th of July, people started lighting off fireworks. We have an indoor / outdoor cat that we bring in every night before it gets dark and we brought in early before the fireworks started. He hates fireworks. When he hears fireworks, he tries to hide under something or burrow under / between pillows. However, the past few nights there has been no fireworks, but he still seems scared at night. The photo below was taken tonight and is an example of him burrowing into the corner of our couch. It's been very hot lately (around 95+ F) and his appetite seems to have reduced. He doesn't seem very interested in moist food. We've tried several different brands of moist food and for the past year, he seems to prefer Friskies (even over the premium brands). However, now he just seems to eat a little dry food, but never after we bring him in. He won't eat until after midnight or the following morning. He used to eat when we bring him in. After around 2 AM, he'll jump up in bed, crawl up next to me (sometime next to my head) and purr. Then around 5 AM, he'll make his presence known and "ask" to be let out. So we've noticed a lack of appetite, but he still feels a healthy weight. He's become more vocal, but only when he wants to be let out. Other than that he's silent and acts as usual. We were away on vacation during last week and had the neighbors look after him. They said he seemed fine and when we came home, he did not even bother to get out from under the bush he was sleeping under to greet us. That's probably normal for him. But he definitely seems scared at night, but fine during the day. He wants to spend all day outside as long as it's daylight, but stays near the house and the past few days we've always found him under the bushes in front of our house of neighbor's house. Probably because it's hot out. He'll come back inside a few times for food or just to walk through the house because he might be feeling too lazy to jump over the fence. Any suggestions?

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried engaging him to play when he acts like he is scared? This does not always work but I had a cat that got scared by a loud thunder storm one night. For a few weeks she would hide at that exact time every night. I used a wand toy and moved it around under the bed to engage play and then gradually moved it farther out into the room. It took about a month and then the association went away. I hope this helps you. I kept the play time up later as a pre-bedtime ritual.

Also you could try playing soft music at night. If your cat enjoys watching tv with you that is also something you could try as a a distraction.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you bring him to the vet? I’ve read when a cat is pressing its head against something it can mean the cat is in pain. Is he peeing and pooping ok? Drinking water ok?