Cat Seems Ill

DJWolford

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know many of you will say go to vet and i scheduled the soonest available appointment, i would just like to ease my anxiety if someone knew better than me.

i have 5 cats, 4 of them since they were born and that batch of kittens are now 3.5 years old now

one of them is quite lethargic, slightly matted coat, and has runny eyes (quite mild) -- really the big one is the energy levels because he is probably the most high energy / enthusiastic of the bunch.

Since i just really noticed today i havent been able to tell if he was been eating / drinking --- but he did devour a couple cans of wet food today so that seems to ok.

i would just like to know if anyone experienced this before and what it was, it can be quite easy to get yourself in a panic when you start googling symptoms.

PS: cat upper respiratory / cat flu i know is super common - ive dealt with it before, this seems to be different (saying that because my experience with that was a very runny eye --- but it was only 1 eye -- and my current cat isnt experiencing a very runny eye

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
i have 5 cats, 4 of them since they were born and that batch of kittens are now 3.5 years old now

one of them is quite lethargic, slightly matted coat, and has runny eyes (quite mild) -- really the big one is the energy levels because he is probably the most high energy / enthusiastic of the bunch.

Since i just really noticed today i havent been able to tell if he was been eating / drinking --- but he did devour a couple cans of wet food today so that seems to ok.
Lethargy in cats always worries me, too.
But usually my cats would also stop eating....and that would double the worry, and warrant a Vet visit.

The confusing thing is that your cat is still eating...which is definitely good.
(one of my previous cats needed antibiotic eye drops as a kitten, because he had woken up with yellow discharge from the eye. The antibiotic eye drops cleared it up.)

Could your cat have gotten into a rough play fight with one of the other cats?
Or eaten or drank anything which he shouldn't have?

Keep an eye on if he is able to drink water, and if he can go to the litter box.
Depending on the number of days being lethargic, if more than two...I would take him in.
Also, if you can confine him to one room, with his own litterbox, food, and water dish...mark the water line...and then you'll know how he's doing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DJWolford

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lethargy in cats always worries me, too.
But usually my cats would also stop eating....and that would double the worry, and warrant a Vet visit.

The confusing thing is that your cat is still eating...which is definitely good.
(one of my previous cats needed antibiotic eye drops as a kitten, because he had woken up with yellow discharge from the eye. The antibiotic eye drops cleared it up.)

Could your cat have gotten into a rough play fight with one of the other cats?
Or eaten or drank anything which he shouldn't have?

Keep an eye on if he is able to drink water, and if he can go to the litter box.
Depending on the number of days being lethargic, if more than two...I would take him in.
Also, if you can confine him to one room, with his own litterbox, food, and water dish...mark the water line...and then you'll know how he's doing.
luckily seems to have huge appetite at least for wet food.

this is a complete guess but it seems like it almost has to be conjunctivitis - when i went downstairs to check on him he was resting but there was a lot of watery eye discharge and his eyes are sensitive to light and you can see the 3rd eyelid's

Does it make sense for such lethargy? i dont know.

i actually called the emergency animal hospital and they said the wait was 6 hours (10:30 at night) so itll have to wait. but if u have experience with kitty pink eye that would help make me feel better at least

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I have no experience with kitty pink eye.
My kitten's eye was yellowish discharge and cruddy looking. So she was given antibiotic drops.
I'm really sorry for being no help.

I am glad, though, that you were able to contact the Emergency Vet and can get him seen.

I did a "Search" on here, and it does sound similar to what you are thinking, an eye infection, conjunctivitis, but it's still better to be absolutely sure.
Eye Infections In Cats – TheCatSite Articles
Eye Discharge

DJWolford

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, I have no experience with kitty pink eye.
My kitten's eye was yellowish discharge and cruddy looking. So she was given antibiotic drops.
I'm really sorry for being no help.

I am glad, though, that you were able to contact the Emergency Vet and can get him seen.

I did a "Search" on here, and it does sound similar to what you are thinking, an eye infection, conjunctivitis, but it's still better to be absolutely sure.
Eye Infections In Cats – TheCatSite Articles
Eye Discharge
appreciate you

Felix19+

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
agree with "cat nap" also are you keeping the eye clean - would take to vet if you are worried

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi DJWolford DJWolford ...how's your cat doing?
(I wanted to ask yesterday, but remembered that some people are still off for Boxing Day, since it fell on a weekend, this year.)

Hope he's okay, and his eye thing went away, ...plus energy levels returned to normal.

DJWolford

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
(I wanted to ask yesterday, but remembered that some people are still off for Boxing Day, since it fell on a weekend, this year.)

Hope he's okay, and his eye thing went away, ...plus energy levels returned to normal.
Thats very sweet.

im still waiting from a call back from the vet to tell me.
i took him in yesterday - they did bloodwork and FELINE AIDS/LUEKEMIA test (not vaccinated) the aids luekemia was negative. called today to get the results of the blood test and she said she would call me back.

my impression was she thought it was some virus. probably not respiratory virus (ive dealt with that in the past, seems unlikely)
other than that she said he had a 103 fever and was dehydrated. hes going to bathroom which is great (but has diarrheas')

seem him eat dry food a couple times today but doesnt want to drink water (worries me)

thats the status - very sweet of u to ask

DJWolford

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

also she gave him fluids - antibiotic shot - and gave me antibiotics to give him orally every 12 hours........ which is dreadful with him specifically because he is so god damn hard to give the oral liquids to

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
also she gave him fluids - antibiotic shot - and gave me antibiotics to give him orally every 12 hours........ which is dreadful with him specifically because he is so god damn hard to give the oral liquids to
Thanks for the update.
Poor guy. Having to take antibiotics and having diarrhea is not fun. :hmmm:

Perhaps the fluids that she gave him were enough...that he does not feel like drinking today.
Or else the meds just make everything taste metallic, or strange.
I'm still glad that he is eating, though. Dry or wet....whatever works.

Could you maybe 'chase down the liquid meds'...with a 'needle-less syringe with a bit of water'...so that the water chases the taste away.
Though you would have to wait a bit after the meds...and make sure to go slow...so as not to aggravate or upset him...and not get it in his airway.

Or else you could give him some 'tuna water' to lap up after the meds,...or any warmed-up watered-down canned food,...just to chase the taste away. Even some favourite treats might be okay.

(I know that some members have given 'pro-biotics'...such as S. Boulardii...to their cats while on antibiotics...but the only one that one of my cat's ever tried was fortiflora sold by the Vet...which I'm told is not really that good. So you could ask your Vet if she recommends any at this time, or afterwards. Doesn't hurt to ask.)

Thank you again for the update.
Hoping that your guy quickly gets back to his old self...and does not give you too much of a fight with those liquid meds.
(It's hard because sometimes liquid meds are easier, ...but sometimes smaller pills are. It just depends upon the cat, I guess.)

DJWolford

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the update.
Poor guy. Having to take antibiotics and having diarrhea is not fun. :hmmm:

Perhaps the fluids that she gave him were enough...that he does not feel like drinking today.
Or else the meds just make everything taste metallic, or strange.
I'm still glad that he is eating, though. Dry or wet....whatever works.

Could you maybe 'chase down the liquid meds'...with a 'needle-less syringe with a bit of water'...so that the water chases the taste away.
Though you would have to wait a bit after the meds...and make sure to go slow...so as not to aggravate or upset him...and not get it in his airway.

Or else you could give him some 'tuna water' to lap up after the meds,...or any warmed-up watered-down canned food,...just to chase the taste away. Even some favourite treats might be okay.

(I know that some members have given 'pro-biotics'...such as S. Boulardii...to their cats while on antibiotics...but the only one that one of my cat's ever tried was fortiflora sold by the Vet...which I'm told is not really that good. So you could ask your Vet if she recommends any at this time, or afterwards. Doesn't hurt to ask.)

Thank you again for the update.
Hoping that your guy quickly gets back to his old self...and does not give you too much of a fight with those liquid meds.
(It's hard because sometimes liquid meds are easier, ...but sometimes smaller pills are. It just depends upon the cat, I guess.)

talked to the vet for like 15 min yesterday.

she said the bloodtest didnt really show anything substantial. and if he hasnt improve by thursday come in at 12 cuz every vet is out of town for the next week.

but im feeling so so so so much better about it. hes not eating / drinking a lot and still somewhat low energy but ive seen significant improvement in the last 24 hours so hopefully -- itll keep going that way and itll all be good

DJWolford

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As well, just in general, when you have to wait 2+ days to take your animal to the vet.... the internet is the absolute worst thing to have --- you try googling symptoms and the articles basically list every single illness and some are worst case scenario

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
talked to the vet for like 15 min yesterday.

she said the bloodtest didnt really show anything substantial. and if he hasnt improve by thursday come in at 12 cuz every vet is out of town for the next week.

but im feeling so so so so much better about it. hes not eating / drinking a lot and still somewhat low energy but ive seen significant improvement in the last 24 hours so hopefully -- itll keep going that way and itll all be good
Yes, as long as there is improvement,...even if slow and steady...but still upwards...then that is good.

As well, just in general, when you have to wait 2+ days to take your animal to the vet.... the internet is the absolute worst thing to have --- you try googling symptoms and the articles basically list every single illness and some are worst case scenario
I hear you there. :agree:
It's so difficult 'not to google symptoms' though.

(It's like 7 out of 10 times...or maybe more like 9 out of 10...the illnesses that are listed do not actually apply to our cats.
But for me...I'm also like,..."what if I come across something that is 'super useful' " ...or "hmm...maybe it's good to know the different things it could be?"....except for the exact part you mention...."jumping to the worst case scenario".
Then I have to stop myself from reading anymore...which is not easy to do.) :ohwell: o_O

Best thing is when our cats get better...and we forget about all the illnesses and worst case things we have read. :catrub:

DJWolford

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, as long as there is improvement,...even if slow and steady...but still upwards...then that is good.

I hear you there. :agree:
It's so difficult 'not to google symptoms' though.

(It's like 7 out of 10 times...or maybe more like 9 out of 10...the illnesses that are listed do not actually apply to our cats.
But for me...I'm also like,..."what if I come across something that is 'super useful' " ...or "hmm...maybe it's good to know the different things it could be?"....except for the exact part you mention...."jumping to the worst case scenario".
Then I have to stop myself from reading anymore...which is not easy to do.) :ohwell: o_O

Best thing is when our cats get better...and we forget about all the illnesses and worst case things we have read. :catrub:

I may have wasted $409 @ the vet but i dont regret it.
for whatever reason about 48 hours after the trip to vet he dramatically increased back to normal but not fully.
once i saw that he was eating and drinking multiple times a day even very frequently it was great.

so thats the final word -- all good --- maybe was just some random virus / flu he got from the outdoors

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I may have wasted $409 @ the vet but i dont regret it.
for whatever reason about 48 hours after the trip to vet he dramatically increased back to normal but not fully.
once i saw that he was eating and drinking multiple times a day even very frequently it was great.

so thats the final word -- all good --- maybe was just some random virus / flu he got from the outdoors
What a great update. :)
"ouch" on the cost, but I find that everything in the past 2-3 years has gone up in price.

Maybe the fluids and antibiotics that your Vet gave to him,...helped him to get over any infection that he might have had.
Hard to say, since you mentioned that his blood work was okay.
And if viral, then yes, I would guess it would only help with any secondary bacterial infections.

The main thing is that your cat is back to eating and drinking. That is a great thing to see. :yess: