Cat screams all morning

ameinias

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My car screams outside the door, maybe four times a minute for hours every morning. I made a mistake when my ex moved out and started letting him stay in my room every night - he would sit on my shoulder in the morning and stare out the window, which woke me up but I was fine with it - unfortunately this trigged latent allergies and breathing issues so it had to stop, and he is NOT HAPPY.

It's not food or attention (me getting up doesn't help), the sun rises on that side of the house and he wants to watch it through the window.

We've been trying the "ignore him" approach for over six months. We have downstairs neighbours. The meowing is really aggravating my roommates depression, we may need to ask my ex to take him so my roommate can have a mental health break, which I really don't want to do as it would be splitting up our cats and ex might not give him back.

The only thing that stops him locking him in the showercloset. It's such a tiny room it doesn't seem like a nice thing to do, even though he seems fine with it for an hour or two, and he does get restless in there before his sunbeam is finished so he'll just start meowing again once we let him out. And obviously I don't want to get up and lock him away at dawn every morning.

He's got a sister he spends hours playing with, many toys and scratching posts he uses, windows in almost every other room including a giant bay window on the other side of the house.

Do you think a UV lamp would help? Is there any way to make this easier? We're at the end of our rope.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ameinias

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Forgot to mention, he's five years old. He's a black cat, generally pretty vocal but it's usually just kitty mumbling. He's extremely needy in general (another reason I don't want him to go, my ex works a lot and couldn't give him the attention he needs.) He needs to be played with and cuddled every night. Our other cat has issues with meowing all day long so we don't actually ever get any relief - hers is just annoying rather than dehabilitating :p

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I made a mistake when my ex moved out and started letting him stay in my room every night - he would sit on my shoulder in the morning and stare out the window, which woke me up but I was fine with it - unfortunately this trigged latent allergies and breathing issues so it had to stop, and he is NOT HAPPY.
In addition to the suggestions made above - any chance of re-arranging your bedroom so that he has access to the window without crawling all over you? Perhaps, a cat tree for him to climb to the window?

It might be worth a 'test' - you can always move things back to where they are now if it doesn't work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ameinias

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In addition to the suggestions made above - any chance of re-arranging your bedroom so that he has access to the window without crawling all over you? Perhaps, a cat tree for him to climb to the window?

It might be worth a 'test' - you can always move things back to where they are now if it doesn't work.
Sadly, I live in a big city, I'm lucky I can fit furniture in there are all, never mind choosing how to arrange it. :p

I don't get allergies from the air, just his fur, which is why he's not allowed on my bed anymore. - I can't wash my comforter every day and I can't lint roll well enough to get rid of it. I tried an extra blanket on top I would just remove at night but they like to use it as a hunting blind.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What about a window attached perch? Or several that he can use like a ladder to climb?

Lucy&Petra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
An allergy shot for you might be the path of least resistance