Cat Screaming When I Relax

pet_mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 2 year old male cat is driving me up a wall.

He is neutered but still has strong mating urges. Humps his blanket all the time and used to scream this awful scream under the door or out windows at night. Used to mark his territory on my couch. I bought that Ceva feliway plugin and all of that behavior has stopped, but now he screams every time I sit or lie down. We're talking the MOMENT I sit or lie down. It's not the same mating scream as before- he just starts doing various vocalizations, getting louder and louder until i can't take it anymore. It can be at night or during the day- just as long as I'm not standing up.

He was very bored when we first moved. Getting my kitten solved a TON of his behavioral problems (shredding things, pooping on the floor, etc.) and now they're best mates. I also filled my apartment with toys, got a large cat tree, many scratching posts, and put a shelf by the window so they can sit and look out. I started cleaning the litterbox every day/every other day. I bought a harness and take him for little walks through the apartment building. I try to play with them every day, but the older one (the one in question) just wants to play with his little brother. I keep the water clean and fresh and only feed them good quality food. Neighbors say they've never heard him yelling during the day while I'm gone. My little one talks a lot at night sometimes, but it's more of a chatter or very specific meows and he always wants something. The older one is just screaming.

WHY IS HE SCREAMING. Last year I tried some advice that said to wake up and follow the cat to where he wanted to go. That didn't work because he would just stop screaming and sit there all smug. Then I tried some advice that said to put him in a kennel at night. Worked wonders for a few months (he would pace back and forth for a while then fall asleep for the night) but now he screams in the kennel as well. The past two months I've been trying to just ignore him BUT HE DOESN'T STOP. It went for 8 straight hours the other night. Lasted 4 hours last night before I thought I was going to lose my mind. Vet says he's healthy but could stand to lose a pound or two.

Has anyone dealt with this?? What did you do??

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
HK used to wake me by yelling and yelling. it used to drive me crazy, and i spent life sleepy. now he's an elderly gentleman (he's over 18), i want him to very happy so i pet him, feed him and go back to sleep.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely ask your vet to try kitty prozac.

I do have to ask the following simply to cover all bases: when he was neutered, was he castrated or did he have a vasectomy? A vasectomy would not have reduced hormone levels. If he was castrated, this behavior is probably anxiety induced.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pet_mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Definitely ask your vet to try kitty prozac.

I do have to ask the following simply to cover all bases: when he was neutered, was he castrated or did he have a vasectomy? A vasectomy would not have reduced hormone levels. If he was castrated, this behavior is probably anxiety induced.
He was neutered when he was about 6 or 7 months old, so a little over a year ago? went in to be castrated. One of his testicles was actually located in his stomach apparently so it became a more invasive procedure.

Definitely going to ask about kitty prozac. I'm a little annoyed none of the vets I've talked to have mentioned this.

misskirby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He was neutered when he was about 6 or 7 months old, so a little over a year ago? went in to be castrated. One of his testicles was actually located in his stomach apparently so it became a more invasive procedure.

Definitely going to ask about kitty prozac. I'm a little annoyed none of the vets I've talked to have mentioned this.
My older cat had issues with this as well. What really helped was adding a nightlight for her to see since she had issues at night. I also got kitty Prozac and would give her a very small amount when her anxiety got really bad. Are you able to cuddle with him and stuff? My current cat meows when she wants some love and won't stop until I give it to her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pet_mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My older cat had issues with this as well. What really helped was adding a nightlight for her to see since she had issues at night. I also got kitty Prozac and would give her a very small amount when her anxiety got really bad. Are you able to cuddle with him and stuff? My current cat meows when she wants some love and won't stop until I give it to her.
That's really good advice.

He politely refuses my cuddle attempts but you might be on to something there. Last night my little one couldn't take it anymore and went to go talk to him and snuggle on him. It helped for a little bit!

misskirby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's really good advice.

He politely refuses my cuddle attempts but you might be on to something there. Last night my little one couldn't take it anymore and went to go talk to him and snuggle on him. It helped for a little bit!
Keep trying! He really may just need more cuddles. :)