Cat screaming for me even though im just a few feet away

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gizmo will scream for me to come to him, regardless of where I am in the house, unless I'm in the same room as him. He doesn't leave my room, except for rare occasions at night. I could be just outside of the door, and he screams. When I say screaming I mean the long howling meows they do when they're lonely. I have a hole in my door for him to come and go as he pleases. He even stares at me through it as he calls for me. Is there any way to stop this? Its really loud and annoying, and he does it any time im not with him. If I even do something so simple as to the kitchen to make dinner he freaks out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, I knew I was forgetting to add something! Hes 8. This isn't new, but its been getting worse the last year.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for telling us his age. He is just a tad bit young to be under the 'senior' category, but that varies with cats - especially depending on their history/background. This could be a sign of illness, hearing loss, cognitive decline, etc. etc. When was the last full scale check up that Gizmo had (full blood panel, urinalysis to start with)? He sounds like he is looking for security and consolation. He is going through some kind of physical or mental change and is looking to you to help rectify it for him. He is apparently finding solace in being with you.

Other aspects of his life changed before he started this? A move, new animals, changes with you and/or your work, or others in the home? More information always helps.

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hes never had a blood panel. I dont work (due to covid atm), and I still live with my parents (im barely an adult), and they don't find it necessary to get him one, despite my encouragement to do so. Hes done this his whole life, so im not concerned about this being related to a health issue.

He is obsessed with me, and has obvious separation anxiety. The most recent change was we got 2 new kittens in August or so? They've actually been making him happy, hes bonded with them greatly and he seems less lonely.

I love him and I want to be with him whenever he wants, but its really not plausible tbh. I just want him to calm down and quiet down. He's been crying/screaming for an hour or two now.

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can hear him scratching on the door like he's locked in? But he's used the cat door multiple times before and isn't scared of it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This isn't new, but its been getting worse the last year...Hes done this his whole life, so im not concerned about this being related to a health issue.
OK. But, something has changed - either health related or environment related. Cats don't do these things if there isn't a reason for them. There are a gazillion potential reasons, and if no one looks at every detail going on around the cat, there is no way to pinpoint the possible causes. He gets less attention because of the other cats, or you have other interests that are taking away time he normally gets, and on and on and on.

You can try cat calming products, just do a search on the internet for options. Not all work on all cats, so you may have to experiment a bit. There are many members on this site that advocate for the calm that cat music gives their cats - there's Cat In My Arms on Spotify and elsewhere, RelaxMyCat and also MusicForCats, for some examples.

I can hear him scratching on the door like he's locked in? But he's used the cat door multiple times before and isn't scared of it.
There's a reason for it. Keep looking at possibilities. And, be patient, as I have already said, cats don't do these things without a reason.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Heya! :> A few thoughts on the topic:

1) When you leave or enter a room he’s in, do you pay him any specific attention? That can encourage anxiety symptoms, so it’s best to enter and leave a space without giving him any particular acknowledgement, no matter how difficult that may feel. If you’re consistent about it, you‘re likely to see improvement. A friend of mine has a cat who was in a similar situation, and once she stopped giving him affection immediately before and after leaving her bedroom, he‘s relaxed a lot ^^
2) For similar reasons, do you have any type of routine you tend to do before leaving your bedroom when he’s with you? If so, mixing up what you do each time you leave can help break the cycle of anxiety.
3) Has he ever used the hole in your door to enter your room himself while you’re awake? It could be that you’ve accidentally reinforced that him sitting outside your door yelling at you will give him the kind of attention he wants, so why would he enter the door, himself? If that’s the case, the only way to get him out of the habit may be to invest in earplugs and wait it out, sadly.
4) Does he scream for you instead of following you, or does he try to follow you while screaming, but is unable to get to your destination for whatever reason? Is he afraid of leaving your room? Do you know why that is? When he does willingly leave your room, does he have any difficulty getting back (I.e. does he scream for you when he leaves your room, himself, because he can’t find his way back)?