cat scratching walls in the morning and other cat questions

tswillou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat who is approximately 10 months old and we got her at 5 months.  She's an indoor-only spayed female and she still has her claws.  She uses her scratching posts regularly, user her litter box, and has no aggression problems. She doesn't chew wires or attack our feet.  She's a great little cat but she has a habit (a couple of habits actually) that we haven't been able to really break her of quite yet.

1 - She chews on baseboards an door frames.  This isn't nearly as bad as it used to be and spraying vinegar on the areas were she mainly bites usually deters her for a while as does double sided tape.   Sometimes I will catch her sneaking upstairs were she KNOWS nobody will see her and she still does it.  If tape is on and has pieces that aren't sticky anymore she seems to have and urge to peel it off and chew on it.  She will also chew on aluminum foil if available.  Is this something she will grow out of?  She only started a few weeks after we got her home and it was kind of spontaneous.  Is my cat just crazy?

2 - She scratches on the walls, primarily in the morning starting at 6:20 but I make it a point not to get up and interact with her until 7:00 when I get up for work. When this started she was doing it in the middle of the night so it's actually gotten better.  Again, this didn't start at first, it started a few months after she was brought home and hasn't stopped since.  Literally every morning I wake up to kitty scratching on the wall.  TShe very rarely scratches the walls in other places/ times.  I got her to stop scratching on one wall in the living room by moving a seldom used scratching post in that location but this bedroom thing is really tough to break.
The walls are just plain drywall and not at all interesting.  She sounds a little stressed out when she does it.  I've also noticed that she does it in specific places and so far it seems like she just runs her paws against the walls without doing any damage so I'm thinking she could either just be marking, seeking attention or just want to get out of the room (all of the above perhaps?).  The sound is my biggest problem with this because it's like nails on a chalkboard.

I'm thinking this may be marking behavior or either attention seeking behavior.  She starts in a very specific order and makes her way to specific locations in the room.  She has skipped the drapes because they are covered in doubles-sided tape now.  If I make any moves as if I'm getting up for ANY reason she runs to me so I can pet her/get up and feed her.  I've had her stop scratching in particular spots but because it's not possible to block all walls in the room, she just picks a different place.  She has access 2 scratching posts in the room that she does use, one is a shorter sisal one we purchased when she was smaller but the other one is tall enough for her to climb on, stretch out and sit on.  There's several cardboard scratchers in the room that she actually ignores.  There are toys in the room at night, she is played with and fed before bed and actually sleeps during the night time.  Are more toys needed? more elaborate cat climbing things? 

3 - Getting her used to having her claws trimmed. Tips on getting cats to be okay with this?  She has to be dead sleep to have this done effectively and even then it's a toss-up.  After several months of touching her paws a bit she's still quite sensitive about it.

A word on punishing her for these behaviors...I am old fashioned and have no qualms about physical or corporal punishment but I have come to the realization that physical punishments, scolding and other deterrents are in fact not effective.  They usually garner the opposite response or she just learns how to hide her behaviors.  Shouting, NO, squirting with water, and even kitty time-out may work with some cats but it does not work with this one at all.  In attempt to deter her from these behaviors, some of these methods were attempted at first but didn't solve anything.  Is it actually too late to curb these habits?

Getting rid of her, declawing her or letting her outside are totally out of the question.  I know this is a lot but this is mine and my sister first indoor kitty and these are things that never crossed my mind when getting a cat.  These at things we wouldn't get rid of for but it does make it hard to trust her in the house and go about our lives.  Right now she has not been allowed free reign all over the house just because she's not trusted to not do weird stuff. lol

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, does she HAVE to have her claws trimmed? This may be stressing her out and make her want to claw MORE to sharpen them! Also, I have found when my cat scratches the walls like you are saying, he is frustrated. Maybe you can offer some toys or distractions that you can put out at night that are different? Keep 'exchanging' them to make them exciting? Maybe you could give her her 'own' piece of wood or framed piece of drywall and praise her when she uses those? I would get some kind of spray that repels cats ( in the pet section) and try that for a while. I don't know why some cats like to chew on wood, I had a spayed female a few years ago that did the same thing, We just basically let her do it on one section that was old, and didn't let her do it on the rest. I'm probably not much help but I'll help if I can. I'm curious to see what will help you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tswillou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your comment. 

I had never thought of her having her claws trimmed as a cause of weirdness.  I haven't trimmed her claws after reading this post but it not trimming her claws doesn't seem to stop it or make a difference.

Since making this post, I have just ignored her in case she's doing it for attention but totally ignorin gher doesn't seem to curb anything. 

I have attempted to block places were she will reach up and scratch walls.  I have relocated scratching posts but that doesn't help at all.  I placed a pet deterrant mat or other things on the floor but she will climb/reach over them and still scratch.

This scratching the wall thing seems to be getting worse.  She has specific places that she will scratch.  Just like anything, shoo'ing her away doesn't prevent her from ultimating fixating on scratching walls.  Playing with her or making her tired will not stop her...plus I can't play with her at 5am.  She is played with at least 3 times a day between myself and my 2 housemates (who are equally as annoyed with this behavior) for up to 10-15 minutes at a time. 

Why is she so fixated on this?!  Is there any hope?  We are at our wits end here.  Even deterring her from one spot will cause her to just go to start scratching on a wall in a different location.  It's seems endless.  I love having a pet and I've wanted one for years.  She is cuddly and sweet but this obssessive habit of hers is really really starting to get to me.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When a cat scratches something, not only does it sharpen her claws, it leaves her scent from her pads on the object being scratched.  She smells this and keeps re-marking her territory.

I see you got her at 5 months.  Is that when she was taken from her mother? 

Has she been to the vet recently? She may have some nutrition issues.

Punishment on a cat is like punishing a wall.  It is still the same afterward, but the wall won't resent you like a cat will.

As far as nail trimming,  some of my ladies still fight it a little bit. Some people roll the cat up in a towel and do it that way. My Psy
would roll over on her back and let me trim her nails that way, if I rubbed her belly twice as long afterward.

Welcome to TCS and keep asking those questions.

socksy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could try playing with her to wear her out before bed.  Maybe she's just bored or has pent-up energy.  My cats love to chew on things and I've just been giving them other things they can chew on, like soft toys filled with cat nip and even bully sticks (which I have for my dogs, but found out on accident that the cats love them).  Not sure if that will help in your situation.  If there's a particular spot she's focused on, you can use a motion-sensing air can like ssscat to deter her whether you're there or not.  

I agree that punishment doesn't work on cats.  It just makes them neurotic.  

jembo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I realise this is an old post, however i was wondering if you found a solution - my cat also starts scratching the bedroom wall and bedframe at about 620am every morning. Im a shiftworker and exhausted. Starting to loose my mind and would love any suggestions

nbeth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This thread just goes on for years...

My cat does the same thing, always early in the morning! In her case I think it is because she wants to eat. Why can't she just meow like an ordinary cat? I think she has figured out that just meowing doesn't wake me up, but the scratching never fails. It does sound like nails on a chalkboard, and I can't ignore it. ...I can't even tell that the wall is scratched and she never lets me see her scratching, but the sound gives it away.

She climbs on my nightstand, and not only does she scratch right by my ear, but first she scatters everything around or onto the floor. The door to my bedroom is not working right so I cannot even shut her out.

I used to feed her, eat my breakfast, and then go back to bed for hours. But then I decided to use her as a natural and unignorable alarm clock to help me become an earlier riser; get up, feed the cat, eat my breakfast, shower, and go for a walk. That actually worked for a few days. But then she started doing it even earlier! My night-person body gave up, defeating my good intentions. It's all the cat's fault.

(I love her all the same, but I would also love a solution!... maybe in a few years?)

RLG

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The feral female I brought in does this in her cat room (I heard her by chance at 245 am) so it could be frustration for sure but I gave her a little food n she never started up, again. It was this light, nails on a chalk board thing-guessing boredom since she's used to extreme living

Atlanticgrl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have the wall-scratching problem with my 5-month old Main coon. I got him when he was 8-weeks and the wall-scratching started at about 4-months. That's usually Phase 2, though, for him around 4a.m. The first step is bed "drive-bys." He pounces on the bed, takes one more good, heavy leap and then off again - and cycles through over and over. If that doesn't elicit a response, he goes for wall-scratching.

I play with him at least an hour before bed - or try to. Sometimes he's just not interested in any game I offer up. I do the whole changing out of toys thing, too. AND I've even tried leaving out a little bit of kibble over night to tie him over till morning, if it IS hunger. Can't seem to find a solution.

He also does the scratching during the day (I work from home). I'm up several times throughout the day to play with him, but sometimes it seems I can't get him to engage. Kitten ADD, I guess. It's frustrating because he IS wired and running around, and scratching walls, but he won't play with me.

Atlanticgrl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh Lord, what HAVEN'T I tired? LOL. Yes, the Da Bird (with THREE different attachments for variety), is a big hit...when he's in the mood. And I do leave a small portion of kibble out for him overnight. Often the kibble is untouched. And I feed before bedtime.

One game that sometimes works for me - some of you may be interested in: I use Fancy Feast Treats hard treats (shite ingredients, but he loves them) and flick them across the the floor, down the hallway or through the kitchen (hardwood and tile floors). He runs after the treat, eats it, then I call him back to me and we start over. But again, this has to be IF HE'S in the mood.

For a laugh - and perhaps my own purging therapy - I wrote this "kitty instructions" on how to wake your human (from his perspective) If interested:
https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/96f410_8654ac90030f4e61ac9a8f921fd4da30.pdf