Cat Scratching More Than Usual At Ear For A Month, Vet Found Nothing Wrong.

Pikanyaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

So I have a 11-month-old, male, fixed, indoor-only, white and orange short-hair cutie pie named Graham, and ever since about a month ago, he’s been scratching at his ears and shaking his head a bit more than usual. It’s not constant, and it’s not bad enough to wake him up when he’s sleeping, but it’s enough for me to take note and a small amount of concern.

When I called the vet several weeks ago, they said to keep an eye on him and take him in if it doesn’t improve. I did, and it didn’t seem to get better so we took him in last Thursday and the vet checked both ears. Both are clean with no visible issues. (They did suggest putting him on a diet though, since he’s a little overweight.)

So he’s still scratching about as often as before, and just today I noticed a small scab on the edge of his right inner ear, near the opening on the scalp, that I assume came from scratching. Does anyone know what might be the issue? Is it possibly deeper than what we can see by looking inside? I’ve seen him scratch both ears, and sometimes he tilts his head and lifts his leg like he feels an itch coming on slowly, so it doesn’t seem to be a short, sudden itch type of issue.

Other health information- Many months ago, back in February, we took Graham to an ICU for a sudden eye pupil contraction in one eye. It slowly went away while he was waiting for his physical and the vets found nothing wrong with him physically or behaviorally, so we wrote it off as a weird random event and it hasn’t happened again. About a month and a half ago, we had a brief flea issue that was caught and taken care of before it got out of hand. (Both cats only had 3-4 fleas at a time, and the infestation lasted only a week.) 3 weeks ago, he had two upset stomach & vomit episodes from dry food that had been exposed to air for too long, then was fine after we got fresh food. Two weeks ago, our other cat had to stay overnight at a hospital for unrelated reasons (ate some floor mat foam) and Graham wasn’t eating much at all until he came back, likely due to anxiety and loneliness. Neither has had any visible health issues since then. He is a hyperactive goofball at times, very needy and physically affectionate, and regularly plays with our other cat, who’s a month older. Stool and urine are normal.

Again, the scratching isn’t constant, but it’s more frequent than it used to be, and it hasn’t seemed to improve or worsen over the past month.

In the pic attached, you can see where he kicked the scab out of his right ear. Left has no scabs.

Attachments

Starblaize

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ask your vet if it could be a symptom of an allergy. Our two cats turned out to have a chicken allergy and it manifested mostly with ear issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pikanyaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ask your vet if it could be a symptom of an allergy. Our two cats turned out to have a chicken allergy and it manifested mostly with ear issues.
Thanks for the reply. This is their food-

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I'm also wondering about food. Can you start feeding canned food, of a different brand? Wet food can also help with weight issues.
Some you could consider would be Merrick, tiki cat, fancy feast, natural balance, Nutro, nulo, and there are lots of others. For dry food, consider Dr elseys clean protein.

He's having some odd things going on. Maybe those things aren't caused by anything he's ingesting, is he coming into contact with something bad like a cleaning chemical he's stepping in or inhaling? A plant that is toxic? Mold in the house?
Dry food exposed to air doesn't go bad, unless it gets wet (and then it can't be left out for more than maybe 45 minutes at best). Some people have said that buying pet food from Amazon isn't the best.

A food change would definitely be worthwhile. Also, Only Natural Pet allows small quantity ordering while you find a wet food or two they like, and they have a product that might help with the itchy area as well.

Wet food can be left out for a few hours or you can put an ice pack underneath the food plate.

Last edited:

Pikanyaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I'm also wondering about food. Can you start feeding canned food, of a different brand? Wet food can also help with weight issues.
Out vet did suggest wet food for the weight too. I’ve been trying so hard to stick to dry due to the expense of wet food, but if it would help with other issues, I suppose I should ask my vet about allergies and shop around. I know Graham likes wet food since he’s had it before. Our other cat refuses to eat the stuff. (He’s addicted to carbs. I know that’s not the best thing for a cat, but it is what it is.)

Maybe those things aren't caused by anything he's ingesting, is he coming into contact with something bad like a cleaning chemical he's stepping in or inhaling? A plant that is toxic? Mold in the house?
Dry food exposed to air doesn't go bad, unless it gets wet (and then it can't be left out for more than maybe 45 minutes at best). Some people have said that buying pet food from Amazon isn't the best.
There aren’t any new chemicals in the house we’ve been using regularly, so I wouldn’t think that’s an issue. No plnys either. Moisture may be a seasonal issue since we had a food bag that opened i the winter and the stuff inside was still good. I haven’t seen any mold in the house, but our AC unit on the other side of the vent next to my desk is in an outdoor closet that got water damage and a partial ceiling collapse a few months ago, so that might be an issue? (I’ve demanded several times that our apartment complex fix the ceiling and they STILL haven’t. >_># And they fixed the source of the water damage, but not the damage itself.)

Pikanyaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Now that I think of it, he has been scratching his face in general a bit too, in addition to his ears. Is that a food allergy sign?

Starblaize

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Now that I think of it, he has been scratching his face in general a bit too, in addition to his ears. Is that a food allergy sign?
Itchiness could be allergies. Like humans, cats can develop allergies at any time. We'd been feeding our cats chicken for years before they developed an allergy to it. Again, this is why I strongly encourage you to talk to your vet about the possibility of allergies and whether a change of food is recommended.

Dandelions

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My vet just recently told me that my cat may have an allergy to chicken, she suggested switching to a fish flavored food. How did you find out for sure that it was the chicken causing the allergy? Also, how do you find food with out chicken? I was at the store today reading labels and all the fish foods had poultry or chicken in the ingredients. Thanks!

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You do not have to switch to fish flavored food. There are foods with other proteins. I switched from a chicken based food to a lamb based protein food. One of my cats began over grooming his belly. He was not itchy there was not a rash or any signs of infection. I decided to try a different protein source to see if it would help his over grooming. He has stopped over grooming and the fur on his belly is growing back. Also one of my cats had a UTI and a partial blockage from a 2nd UTI. I was told by two vets I did not need to change his diet since the blockage was caused by a UTI and not stones. An ultrasound was done to check for stones. The food I feed now is lower in carbs with more protein. They are actually eating less on the new food. My cats do not care for wet food enough to make it their primary food so they get fed a high quality grain free dry. All my cats also are good about drinking water. They have 3 fountains.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't have this issue with my cat, but with my dog. We've tried many a thing and many vets. So far it seems to be an environmental allergy. Hopefully Benadryl helps.

Starblaize

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet just recently told me that my cat may have an allergy to chicken, she suggested switching to a fish flavored food. How did you find out for sure that it was the chicken causing the allergy? Also, how do you find food with out chicken? I was at the store today reading labels and all the fish foods had poultry or chicken in the ingredients. Thanks!
There are limited ingredient cat food options, just be aware that even fish flavored cat food can have chicken in it, so you will have to read the labels. Our cats stopped having ear issues (itchy with excessive wax) and their energy levels ticked back up.