Cat scratching issue

mariawashere

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. So I have a 6 month old calico which is my first cat. Lately she's been scratching the wallpaper in my room which is tearing it down and essentially destroying my room. (Paintable wallpaper). I had purchased a spray that is supposed to keep cats from scratching and laying on things they shouldn't and it hasn't worked. I read that I should deter her attention and show her her scratching post yet I can't be with her 24 hours a day. My question is: does anyone have any useful tips? Also, is it in humane to have her declawed? I would never, ever, ever allow her outside so her survival isn't an issue. I'm just concerned with the pain she'll experience afterwards. Can I give her pain killers? I'm desperate and will appreciate any tips or advice !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mariawashere

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! And that article definitely makes me not want to have her declawed. So I just put aluminum foil on my walls where she's scratching? Do I need to tape it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mariawashere

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, when the foil was taken down, did your cat have no desire to scratch where it once was?

kittywhiskers

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We used blue tac to fix it to the wall (not sure if it's called somthing different where you live) but using tape would have pulled even more paper off. We crumpled the foil a bit first then spread it out onto the wall to create a bumpy texture which my cat didn't like.
We left this in place for a couple of months I think, she did this when she was about 4 months old (she is almost 2 now) then I think she just forgot about scratching there. We have since added more scratchers inside the house and outside in the enclosure.
A cat tree might be worth getting if you haven't got one already.:nod::D