Cat scratching couch

gillyrosh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm looking for a new couch (my cats have scratched it up, but it also has lots of other wear and tear. So I'm curious to know

1) what strategies folks use to keep cats from scratching furniture, and
2) does anyone know of any pet-friendly couches or couch material

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have three cats and our couch has not been scratched. What works for us is having plenty of scratching surfaces around the house. We have six large sturdy tall scratching posts/trees in strategic locations. They have to be big enough that the cat can fully extend and bonus points if they can climb it and sit on top of it. We also have a few horizontal cardboard scratchers around. Put the scratching apparatus wherever you notice they want to scratch. Then put double sided sticky tape wherever they may be scratching that you don’t want. This has worked very well for us.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you use the sticky tape, the chances are that you will not have to use it forever. Generally about a week will teach your cats that a piece of furniture is NOT fun for the pawsies, and feels downright nasty.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd recommend making sure you have a couple of different types of scratching posts. Most sisal posts are wrapped sisal, but my cat prefers her woven sisal post. A friend of mine also purchased covers for her new furniture. She really likes it because she can just toss the covers in the wash to get rid of cat hair.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we have a post placed up against our couch along with a big tall cat tree took a bit of correcting and praising for graycie to get the idea of whats ok to sharpen claws on.now that i think about it though we also have 4 cat trees/in our single bedroom apartment along with some of those card board scratchers that make a mess as your cat shred them up

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have my sofa covered and two wing backed chairs with a fitted clothcovers.
I have a Tree with scratching post nearby the sofa. In my dining room is a smaller cat stand also with a scratching post. Despite to several choices the boy's have for sharpening their claws. Particularly Jackpot has to be reminded what is a acceptable scratching post and what is not.

Last edited: