Cat scratching behind ear - food allergy?

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, my 3 year old cat, Tuck, has had quite the past few months. He had a urinary blockage in November and was diagnosed with FLUTD, and now he’s scratching behind his ear out of no where, very badly. I have another thread on a separate issue involving one of my other cats and her very bad redirected aggression which has caused them to really not get along for the past few months especially. After a bad fight, where I was checking them over (I’ve had to pull nails out of heads before) I noticed a small scratch behind his ear and thought that was from the fight. Well, over the last week he’s kept digging and digging and digging... and this is the result. It looks a bit better after I clean it. I bought blue butter, which seemed to help a bit, but I think having something on it agitated him which caused him to scratch more, so I haven’t used it the past couple days. But it seems to be getting worse. It doesn’t seem like it’s from mites (he’s only ever been inside) or from an ear infection (haven’t noticed head tilting/shaking) and his skin around his neck where he hasn’t yet scratched kind of looks irritated. After the blockage, I started him on half c/d dry food from Hills late November and half his old food. The only other new thing has been Blue Buffalo treats I’ve been giving them, which they’ve never had before. So, I’m wondering if I should take him back to the vet? Is there any way I can heal this at home and see if it clears up? My issue with taking him to the vet is 1: I don’t want to stress him out more, afraid he’ll block again 2: my cat Cc has major problems with different smells (especially other cats) and I’m afraid that taking him to the vet will set her off again, and cause the problems I’m living with to be even worse and 3: my savings for the vet are now in case he needs an emergency procedure due to blocking, and this will be at least 100+ bucks. Anyone have any advice?

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
ummm, wow.

his skin around his neck where he hasn’t yet scratched kind of looks irritated.
I'm not completely clear about the food - is he getting any canned food? Also, can you try a different brand of treat maybe?

Would something that keeps him from being able to scratch it help, a cone or e collar?

Can you ask the vet to help you with a calming product for him?

Could you take CC along so she smells the same from the visit?

Would there be anything here of use?
(apologies for any dead links);
Financial Assistance – Day By Day Caregiver Support Inc.

Financial Aid for Pets

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life

About Waggle | Vet Financial Assistance | Financial Aid For Pets

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
ummm, wow.

I'm not completely clear about the food - is he getting any canned food? Also, can you try a different brand of treat maybe?

Would something that keeps him from being able to scratch it help, a cone or e collar?

Can you ask the vet to help you with a calming product for him?

Could you take CC along so she smells the same from the visit?

Would there be anything here of use?
(apologies for any dead links);
Financial Assistance – Day By Day Caregiver Support Inc.

Financial Aid for Pets

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life

About Waggle | Vet Financial Assistance | Financial Aid For Pets
I might try to get an e collar and cal the vet about some kind of anti-itch medicine so I can try to heal it before I take him. I’ve stopped the treats, but I’m thinking it may possibly be the food. I haven’t been able to switch him over to it 100% because it makes him throw up if that’s all he eats, so I’m thinking he has some kind of food sensitivity. It’s dry, he refuses to eat wet. Honestly, I may just stop giving it to him, from what all I’ve read the key to keeping everything clear is water intake, not so much diet foods. And since I’ve switched his water bowls, he drinks a good about of water now. Plus I put some in a separate bowl with cat food and he likes drinking that.

I’m scared the e collar will set her off (which sounds insane, but she’s weird like that) and taking her to the vet in general makes her attack-y, when she comes home to Lo too, besides the last time when the vet gave her that sedative shot. I’d really try to avoid that if possible. Sigh, I’m really having a time. Thank you for all your replies! I’m sure I’ll be back in the last thread as well, lol

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! That ear looks pretty nasty. If it were me, I would take him to your vet and have it looked at - if for no other reason than to make sure there is no infection starting and to get some sort of meds to help heal the ear. Since you are considering getting some anti-itch medicine from the vet, you might want to also show them a pic of the ear and see if they might at least give you something that would help heal it in addition to reducing the itchiness.

Should you decide to take him to the vet, and you don't want to take both cats, make sure you rub some blankets/towels on your 'stay-home' cat to use on your other cat when he comes back from the vet - so that he will smell more like her. If that doesn't work, you can also try the 'vanilla' trick' in this link: Ode to vanilla extract

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sigh, I’m really having a time.
Bless your heart!

because it makes him throw up if that’s all he eats, so I’m thinking he has some kind of food sensitivity.
What was the reason you were trying to switch? Given the throwing up with the new food I think you're right, it's not working for him :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catluvs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bless your heart!

What was the reason you were trying to switch? Given the throwing up with the new food I think you're right, it's not working for him :(
Due to his blockage, since it’s supposed to significantly help reduce crystals and such - but the vet himself was a little skeptical, said that he’s sure it probably does something but that wet food/water intake is the key element to preventing blockages. I’ve tried every way in the world to get him to eat wet food and he refuses, even gags at the smell. He’s always had some stomach sentisivity, I’m thinking maybe he’s always had some allergies and now they’re getting more intense for some reason. I’m not sure if it’s a good idea to stop the food completely, since I’m terrified of him getting blocked again. However he does drink a good amount of water throughout the day, and when he got blocked I had noticed him not drinking a lot of water for a really long time, probably because he didn’t like his metal bowl. He’d wait for me in the bathroom for the faucet. Then for about a week before he got blocked, I noticed him not really wanting to drink from there either, so I think that’s what caused it. I had no idea what FLUTD was. I tried him on another food, Royal Canin, but not only is it insanely expensive, it caused their stool to be really really smelly, and Cc was attacking them coming out of the litter box. She pretty much stopped when I stopped using it, although that could’ve also been because she had been having redirected aggression due to smelling another cat and fighting with them

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is there any chance to try pouring just a bit of water over the top of his dry food (not even mixing it to start with) to see if he will eat it that way? If just by having the water in the same dish doesn't pose a problem, after a bit you can then add more water, and again after a few days or so, let the water soak just a bit into the food, and finally allow the dry food to thoroughly soak up the water so that it is mushy. It's just another version of transitioning cats from one food to another, one baby step at a time.

I will tell you that Feeby has been on Hill's C/D dry food for over 10 years due to oxalate stones so bad she had to have bladder surgery. She has (knock on wood) been stone free since (but was never diagnosed with FLUTD). I did start to add the canned version a couple of years ago, even though she is a pretty good drinker. It is a good thing I did, because now she no longer wants dry - maybe after having been exposed to canned for the past couple of years? So, perhaps there is hope for you guy to eventually 'like' canned food?

And, how about a water fountain? There are ones that are made to mimic a faucet.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Regardless of food this cat needs a vet now. This ear looks absolutely horrible. I would not make the assumption there isn't an ear infection going on just because he isn't shaking his head. There could be all sorts of things going on in there, bacteria, yeast, etc. He may need antibiotics. Also a cone would be an excellent idea so he can't scratch at it.