Cat Scratching and biting!!

kittielover123

R.I.P Moneybags 1992-2017 You will be missed
Kitten
Purraise
So, about 2 and a half months ago we found a kitten stuck under our house. We fed her and waited for her owner to come and take her. The owner never showed up, so we are now stuck with the cutest gift of my life. So maybe a month ago she (the cat) started scratching and biting me and my family. We dont know how old or what breed that cat is. I have scratches all over my hand and body. It will be calm for a while and just go NUTS! and we cant get it to stop!! Any tips on getting it to stop???

smile123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When she scratches or bites say no in a firm voice and walk away. My kitty also did this she would bite my hand. You can also distract her with a stuffed animal and let her use it instead of your body parts.

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The best thing would probably be to make sure she has enough toys and definitely a scratching post or a cat tree if you don't already have one. Clipping her nails will help then it won't hurt so much when she scratches and plays with you. It sounds like she is young and a lot of this is normal kitten behavior. Try to encourage her to play with toys and not your hands. It will take some time but eventually she will learn. Sometimes saying "ow" or a firm "no" helps

darkhorse321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has she been checked for neurological diseases? Always check for distemper and others that can cause personality changes. Also make sure you get medical attention to bites and scratches for yourself as there is something called 'cat scratch fever' that is very bad to get.

It could be that she's still got a 'feral' side to her and if you touch her the wrong way, she percieves it as an 'attack' and responds accordingly.

Best of luck to you!! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittielover123

Kitten
Purraise
If i get enought money to spay/nueter it will that help its behaivour?

kittielover123

Kitten
Purraise
She is biting our table leg (yes our table leg) although it is cute is that an alternative for a stuffed animal? 

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

If i get enought money to spay/nueter it will that help its behaivour?
    It could certainly settle her down.  You really need to spay her no matter what.  I'd make that the first thing you do.

kittielover123

Kitten
Purraise
As often i can, i dont have many toys but she plays with a light ball that i thow to her and she hits it around

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't play with her with your hand - always have a toy in it. That way, she won't get used to playing with your hand. Another reason cats sometimes bite and scratch is because they don't like being petted too much. If you are petting her, and she bites, quit petting her. She's trying to tell you she doesn't like it. She may also be teething, so give her something rubbery to chew on. There are some chew sticks for cats, and those would be perfect.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is very normal for a kitten, especially one that is away from it's mother at too young an age (before twelve weeks). They learn restraint and manners between 6 and 12 weeks from their mother and their siblings. I always yelled loudly and walked away from them. You might want to take them by the scruff of the neck (just enough to get their attention) and hiss loudly, just like mama would do. (I wouldn't let the neighbors hear you! 
 ) If it continues, a 5 minute time out away from all the fun in a small room. No longer or the kitten forgets why they are in there and become anxious and/or lonely.  A distraction is great when they get too feisty, they need to learn what is appropriate to bite and claw on. Getting her spayed will cut down on the need to get out of the house and the constant yowling that accompanies being in season, I would recommend it as soon as it can be done. Finding homes for kittens is not a fun thing either. Toy mice are great, as is a corrugated cardboard scratcher, that will keep her busy. You will be blessed for taking her in, she will bring much joy into your life! 

kittielover123

Kitten
Purraise
Thanks!, and is a closet fine? Another thing is the kitten is jumping on my 2 other cats they are both adult cats and she jumps on thier backs and fights with them

marius

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Having toys around surely helps! I am myself from the Netherlands, so i found ourself bying one of these, here it is quite cheap so.. They are super active on them, and almost stopped scratching, now it is more for attention i feel.

These might be overkill for many, me growing up with cats, we never had anything like this, and some might have either lack of space, money or other things, this helped a lot for us though! Also of course, like someone else mentioned, they need some discipline, and as always, kittens are always playful! :)

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks!, and is a closet fine? Another thing is the kitten is jumping on my 2 other cats they are both adult cats and she jumps on thier backs and fights with them
That's normal kitten behavior, too, but your adult cats may not like it. They will tell her to back off if it's too much for them.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As often i can, i dont have many toys but she plays with a light ball that i thow to her and she hits it around
Can you get a wand toy like da bird? She needs something that she can really exhaust herself with. I agree that spaying is important at this point too.

Last edited: