Cat Scratches

KleptoKit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope I chose the right forum haha.

I actually just woke up and went to tell my cat good morning and i noticed he was bleeding above his eye(picture attached)?

I didn't want to do anything that might make it worse so I searched for an active forum haha.

I do remember reading before that cats can become allergic to food and scratching could be a result, but I don't know if this is the case.

He is a year old, inside, domestic short hair.
I am feeding him Authority Kitten chicken & rice formula ( I was going to finish this bag and start switching him to adult food when I was closer to the bottom of this bag).
I treat him with advantagemulti the first of every month, so I did just apply some but he didn't react any way that would be "out of the ordinary" for him.

Extra Info that may or may not be relevant:

I did just get back from a week vacation three days ago and during that time we had someone come and feed him and give him plenty of love! (He was used to being fed at 8pm every night as opposed to 1pm, but I'm trying to get him back to his schedule) I also used to walk him around outside, but I don't anymore due to our neighbors getting some rather aggressive dogs. Oh and his ears have minimal dirt in them, still nice and pink!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KleptoKit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He also did just recently bring me a live salamander (yuck!) and then killed it, if biting that thing may have caused anything.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It's possible that in the midst of scratching his head with his foot he hooked himself with a nail. If it has stopped bleeding and doesn't seem to be affecting his vision, I would just leave it be and it will likely be fine. If he no longer goes outdoors he is in no danger of getting fleas so I would stop the Advantage.

KleptoKit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your response! That gives me a lot of comfort lol.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When it comes to allergies there other signs. So if it is healing well and he isn't scratching a lot for no apparent reason I wouldn't worry. My cat that has allergies also through up often (I thought he had hairball problems) and the vet pointed out that he had pulled out a lot of his belly fur (he white on the belly, I just thought he was naturally like that.) The big tip off though was years later when his lower lip turned bright pink and swelled up. So I wouldn't start panicking yet :) In all fairness to this picture, his IMG_3457.JPG nose is bright pink from stress/hyperventilating on the way to the vet, which is why the top of the carrier is open.

KleptoKit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aw precious baby. I hope he's alright!

& I'm such a worry wart lol

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is fine now ... and now he takes a antihistamine for cats at the slightest swelling. So it stops it before it gets that bad :) I'm sure your cat will be fine (and probably doesn't have allergies.)

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Like Danteshuman said I wouldn't worry about allergies unless his mouth is swollen. Keep him inside and a close eye on him for a few days. I would apply flea treatment (when it's healed), even if the cat is indoor, we have 2 indoor cats they do still get fleas on the odd occasion. The best method I have found is to wash and treat the bedding once a month and apply the flea treatment for them at least every other month. The reason I do this is because we have strays in the neighbourhood. We also live in a semi rural area so there are plenty of wild animals about and we also frequently have other relative's pets so they are exposed. If you don't have these elements of exposure you may wish to treat at the first sign of fleas only.

The image you have posted certainly looks like he's caught himself scratching, you shouldn't need to do anything at all so long as the area doesn't become overly swollen, pussy or hot to the touch. If this does happen, don't put any lotions or creams on it, wipe it gently with a small piece of lint free material dipped in cooled boiled water until you can get him to the vet where they will clean it out and stitch it if necesarry.

Honestly though it's looking fine :)

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep a close eye on your cat; he'll likely heal up just fine and all will be well!

He also did just recently bring me a live salamander (yuck!) and then killed it, if biting that thing may have caused anything.
I don't have a lot to add to the variety of comments posted here, but I would say that there is one salamander that has a really poisonous neurotoxin in its skin... it's found in California, apparently.
Poisoning, Toad and Salamander Symptoms and Treatments in Dogs and Cats | Pet First Aid at Wiki-pet.com

It's probably just a good rule of thumb to try to not have your dogs or cats play with toads, lizards, or salamanders, if you can help it! I think there are only a few that could cause big issues... but pets often just generalize all critters like these and don't check themselves on the odd day that they might meet a more poisonous one, saying to themselves, "Oh wait! That's a California newt! Better not eat that one!"

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
He does look fine in that pic. In fact, I love that he's sticking his tongue out a bit.

KleptoKit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the reassurment/answers/experiences! Im a first-time cat mother, and this is such a wonderful forum!