cat scratcher question

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty sure it's SY-sull. Or SY-zull.
I was watching old Frasier re-runs and Niles pronounced it like one of these...maybe the second one?  Anyways it caught my attention because I've been pronouncing it wrong (and probably always will.)  I'm sure Niles is right...those Crane boys are so particular. 

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
According the rules of English phonetics, it should be s long i (because it's an accented syllable, followed by a single consonant), z sound, schwa (the unaccented vowel sound found in almost every English word, l.

The problem with English, of course, is that it's a nymphomaniacal language, happily taking in and merging with every language it touches, so it's hard to know where a word originally came from, or how it should be pronounced.

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My point was that I've always heard the word pronounced with an ess sound, not a z in the middle. If I were working in a home supply store and someone asked me where to find some sizzle, I'd be more likely to direct them to the barbecue grills than to the rope.
Maybe it is a regional dialect. They are supposed to use the z sound in the middle.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The 'I' is pronounced as a capital 'I'. After a long 'I' it is difficult to say a soft 's' so it tends to come out as 'z'. But no to 'sizzle'