Cat scratcher (not deterrent) for cats who only like to scratch leather?

meto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat only likes to scratch leather, so I have a chair that's dedicated as his scratcher and I've moved it around with us for years. Now I'm going cross country and I can't take it with us, and instead of getting another sacrificial leather chair I was wondering if there's any cat scratching post or similar device out there that's actually made for cats who like to scratch leather.

Everything I found is deterrent products but I don't see anything wrong with the fact that the cat likes to scratch leather, if that's how he is then I just have to not buy leather furniture. Maybe i'll have to make something myself, there's no point trying to get him to scratch surfaces he's not interested in in my opinion.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cut the leather off the furniture and leave the rest behind.
(Have it recovered and tell them that you want to keep the old leather.)

Take the old leather with you.
When you get to your new home, use it to cover a regular scratching post to make simulated furniture.

Heck! You could even have your upholsterer take the leather off the chair and make a leather scratching post if you explain things to him. Talk to them right and they might even take it up as a challenge. :D

With as much leather as you would get out of an old chair, I can imagine that you'd be able to replace the leather on your cat's favorite scratching spot several times. (Hopefully, his only one. ;) )

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cut the leather off the furniture and leave the rest behind.
(Have it recovered and tell them that you want to keep the old leather.)

Take the old leather with you.
When you get to your new home, use it to cover a regular scratching post to make simulated furniture.

With as much leather as you would get out of an old chair, I can imagine that you'd be able to replace the leather on your cat's favorite scratching spot several times. (Hopefully, his only one. ;) )
Great idea, thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise