Cat scratcher for a carpet scratching kitty?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no shortage of quality scratching posts in the home. My previous kitty loved to scratch both down (the carpet) and up (she would cross a room for a good post.) My new kitty seems only interested in scratching the carpet. I am not opposed to this. Except she's not doing a good enough job. Her claws stick in the carpet during play and even when walking across the room I can hear them stick. I'm trying to cut her claws. But so far, no luck. This is something we'll continue to work on. In the meantime, are there any great scratchers out there for cats who like to scratch the carpet more than posts or furniture?
BETTYWHITE.JPG

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Out of curiosity, how fond are you of your carpet? (I know she needs a feeding patch too). Assuming you’ve tried the cheap cardboard ones, sprinkling them with catnip? (SUCH a cute picture).

scoutandmaxine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Scout is like that too. She never uses the posts but she absolutely loves the cardboard scratch houses that I get. So do my other two kitties. They use them all the time. I've gotten 3 of them from target.

20211018_193102.jpg

20220223_213847.jpg

While scout prefers to just relax in them for the most part, she does occasionally scratch them but not enough to really help. So I do have to trim her nails which is not easy bc she hates it. But the only time I see her scratch is when she is in the backyard and there is a small tree that she loves to use as a scratch post. So I've wondered if I should find a tree-like post for her, or if she's just stubbornly picky about only using that tree. Typical lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Out of curiosity, how fond are you of your carpet? (I know she needs a feeding patch too). Assuming you’ve tried the cheap cardboard ones, sprinkling them with catnip? (SUCH a cute picture).
I rent. So as much as this carpet has been scratched up, barfed, and pooped on, I can’t tear any of it out. Even though I’m past the carpet’s expected life, I think the property managers would flip if I did any alternations myself. 🤦🏼‍♂️

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scout is like that too. She never uses the posts but she absolutely loves the cardboard scratch houses that I get. So do my other two kitties. They use them all the time. I've gotten 3 of them from target.

View attachment 418458
View attachment 418459

While scout prefers to just relax in them for the most part, she does occasionally scratch them but not enough to really help. So I do have to trim her nails which is not easy bc she hates it. But the only time I see her scratch is when she is in the backyard and there is a small tree that she loves to use as a scratch post. So I've wondered if I should find a tree-like post for her, or if she's just stubbornly picky about only using that tree. Typical lol.
She has a yacht. I’ve reassured her that it’s safe from seizure. But she still only wants to sit below rather that sit top side or scratch on either deck. 🤦🏼‍♂️
E9695F26-F9D5-43EE-8DE5-45096D510206.jpeg 89DD089A-8C0E-4904-A19D-12582842322C.jpeg
I would happy to look for another she might like better.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I rent. So as much as this carpet has been scratched up, barfed, and pooped on, I can’t tear any of it out. Even though I’m past the carpet’s expected life, I think the property managers would flip if I did any alternations myself. 🤦🏼‍♂️
I hear you. I wish I had advice! All I have is a very ravaged armchair and a happy cat. I guess I know who’s boss!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hear you. I wish I had advice! All I have is a very ravaged armchair and a happy cat. I guess I know who’s boss!
At this point, I would get her an armchair to ravage if it meant she wouldn’t stick in the carpet or make nighttime biscuits a dangerous proposition. 😬🗡🗡 Of course, cats being cats, a thrift store chair wouldn’t do. Only a $1000+ Lazy Boy would do it for her. 🤦🏼‍♂️😹 I’ve had a furniture scratching cat before. There’s a reason why my recliner has a wood frame and my bed is on a super low profile box spring on the floor. Though the primary reason for the latter was to help an aging Krista get up and down. Betty and her creaking and cracking joints certainly appreciates the aging cat supports I have around. Ironically, those cardboard Tetris pieces are meant to double as scratchers. But neither Krista nor Betty seem interested in using them for that. 🤷🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️
809753BA-B7F2-4FC8-9560-E0CF6E7C0178.jpeg F417CE1E-588A-4BA6-A3BA-EC25C9221258.jpeg B7B6A2F7-99AD-453D-B264-5A2112CFA73A.jpeg

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My in-laws have a carpet scratching cat too. I bought this for them and he seems to use it instead of the carpet now. They do have a vertical scratcher on top of it to keep it in place. I wish it came in a bigger size but at least it works for him.