Cat Scratched Ear Until It Bled

solowars

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So tonight my cat got trapped in the toilet while I was taking a shower (she snuck in, usually the door is closed) and after I realised and let her go 10mins later she apparently sat in front of the toilet door and scratched her ear really hard and long, which I’ve never seen before (my bf spotted this).

I haven’t clipped her back nails in a while and they’re sharp, so she’s torn some hair off and her ear is cut.

The spots don’t look too bad and there’s no fresh bleeding at all so I’ve just left it there? I’m just kinda scared by the sudden violent scratching, she itches her ears and neck some but has never injured herself. I’m wondering if this was out of anxiety - she absolutely hates the sound of the shower and will bolt if it turns on when she’s near... her ears are clean and she’s on monthly revolution so it can’t be mites I think. Has anyone had experience with this sudden kind of scratching before? I’m really hoping this is a once off event and not the start of a chronic condition. :cringe:

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For now, I would consider it a one-time event, and just treat the wound.

You can use chamomile tea bags (grocery store variety, English NOT German, no additives), brew in water, cool the liquid, and then dab it on the wound multiple times a day. The tea has both healing and soothing properties.

As it heals, it might become itchy so you will have to watch her closely to stop her from scratching it as much as possible. Clipping her back nails at this point should help at least a bit. A soft sided cone/collar might be needed to make it harder for her to reach her ear with her back claws.

If she goes outside, she might get dirt/debris in it, so be careful to watch out for infection.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I second FeebysOwner FeebysOwner 's suggestion, with one correction, it is the GERMAN, not the English, that you want, and German is ALWAYS used in commercial tea bags. Easy mistake to make, transposing those two.

This may have just been a stress-related incident. Goodness knows, I can get itchy when I'm stressed, so it stands to reason that a cat might, as well. I'd think of it as a one-off unless she does it again! No sense in borrowing trouble, after all.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
with one correction, it is the GERMAN, not the English, that you want, and German is ALWAYS used in commercial tea bags. Easy mistake to make, transposing those two.
OMG - ooops - so sorry for that. I KNOW better. That's what I get for not proof reading before hitting 'post reply'.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No big deal. I do it all the time...sometimes even when I think I have proofread! "Edit Post" is my favorite button!