Cat scratched dog

vtyk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat which is a mix of Maine Coon and American Short Hair. He normally gets along completely fine with my two dogs and I have even witnessed him playing with them on several occasions.

However, today, my cat scratched my dog. She was just drinking water and my cat snuck up behind her and started pawing her. This resulted in a scratch on my dog. There were no typical signs of a fight, such as hissing, fur standing on end or bared claws.

Did my cat attempt to fight with my dog? Or was this an accident that happened due to their extreme size difference and my cat wanting to play with her? Please help.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What breed is your dog?

I would keep an eye on them; but not worry just yet.  Hopefully it was an isolated incident.  It's hard to say what could have caused that.  Do you trim your cats nails at all?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vtyk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Both my dogs are of the Shih Tzu breed.

I trim his nails around once a month. He's not exactly compliant when I trim them though.

lizcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat isn't compliant with nail clipping either so I plan to take him to Petco next week. Around here they do it for $10

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vtyk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, I see. Yeah, it's usually much easier when I let the pet shop do it for me. I try not to though. My cat gets grouchy when I subject him to grooming at pet shops. He doesn't swipe anyone, but he does refuse to cuddle with me for a little while XD