Cat Scratch Near Eye And Coconut Oil

Myjedicats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I’m new so I hope I’m doing this right. I have a four year old cat. He recently went through a bout with a skin fungus. Coconut oil seemed to work best and quickly. He scratched himself bald in places, but the oil worked wonders. His hot spots healed and his fur is back, shiny and thick. He has scratched around his eye but I am afraid to use the coconut oil with the possibility of it getting into his eye. Has anyone had experience with this?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have no experience with this, but think you are right to be concerned about getting the coconut oil in his eye. Is it possible to use a cotton swab to dab a little on the scratch?

If not, you could call the vet and ask what types of over the counter treatments would be appropriate for a scratch so close to the eye. It might be that another type of treatment would work better anyway, since the scratch would not seem to be related to his past skin fungus, correct?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Myjedicats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I have no experience with this, but think you are right to be concerned about getting the coconut oil in his eye. Is it possible to use a cotton swab to dab a little on the scratch?

If not, you could call the vet and ask what types of over the counter treatments would be appropriate for a scratch so close to the eye. It might be that another type of treatment would work better anyway, since the scratch would not seem to be related to his past skin fungus, correct?
I do think the scratch and his past issues are related. I think I will try the cotton swab idea and see if it works. Coconut oil has worked so well, I would like to try it first.

Myjedicats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Let us know how things go with it :vibes::goodluck:
The coconut oil seems to be working. The scratch is healing. Thank you FeebysOwner FeebysOwner . Using a cotton swab made the application easier and less messy. It looks like I have been able to avoid getting it into Obi’s eyes. Furballsmom Furballsmom , would the tea be the same as using the essential oil?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The tea is perfectly safe around the eyes. In fact, I've used the tea bags as a compress on my own eyes more than once, when dealing with a dratted stye.

Sorry this took so long. I've been out sick.

Myjedicats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The tea is perfectly safe around the eyes. In fact, I've used the tea bags as a compress on my own eyes more than once, when dealing with a dratted stye.

Sorry this took so long. I've been out sick.
Thank you! Using anything around the eyes was my concern. I often drink chamomile tea but did not realize it had so many other benefits. When you use the compress on your own eyes, does it stain your skin? Thank you for sharing FeebysOwner FeebysOwner and Furballsmom Furballsmom , I will have to investigate this tea further!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When you use the compress on your own eyes, does it stain your skin?
Nope. Not a bit. It's good for almost any skin itchy or ouchy. It will even soothe the itching from eczema. It keeps in the fridge for 3 days, then make another cup. I almost ALWAYS have some in there, chilling.