Cat scooting butting on furniture/carpet

missbrittany879

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Forgive me for this long post but I have to get all the details out. In November my mother passed away and one of my cats, Spencer, was really attached to her. He showed the normal signs of depression/separation anxiety the first few weeks and we did all we could to give him extra love and attention. Then he stopped grooming himself (he's a long haired cat, by the way). We took him to the vet to make sure his anal glands weren't impacted (they weren't) and the vet even took a blood sample just to make sure everything was okay (which it was). However Spencer is still scooting his butt all over our furniture and carpets STILL (after almost 4 months) and my dad and I just don't know what to do anymore. He's ruining our furniture and I think my dad is getting so fed up that he wants to get rid of him (which of course isn't going to happen). I try cleaning him at home but I just can't get everything off and then he starts howling at me. He is a larger cat, not fat just big, so I was thinking that maybe he just can't reach himself? The thing is is that he hasn't really put on any extra weight since my mom died so I don't know why all the sudden he doesn't clean himself anymore. I've taken him back to the vet several times now and they are at a loss as to why he keeps doing this. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? Even just some advice as to how to clean him better would help me greatly. I'm desperate to fix this.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Condolences on the loss of your mother. I am sure that's been tough on everyone. As for Spencer, if it's not caused by impacted anal glands, constipation would be my next guess. What is the quality of his stool like? How often does he poop? What is his diet exactly?

As for grooming, is the poop getting stuck in his hair? If so, you may try trimming that area.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missbrittany879

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, it definitely has been rough. It's even worse seeing Spencer go through all this and not being able to explain what's happening. As far as his stools go, I have 4 other cats so sometimes it's hard to pick out which one is his unless I sit there and wait for him to use the litter box. I'm assuming his stools may be a little soft because they are sticking to him, but I could be wrong. I will try to catch him when he's using the litter box to see what they look like. Unfortunately I don't know how often he poops because I am gone all day at work. I feed my cats Simply Nourish (it's a PetSmart brand), the chicken and rice formula. 

I've had the vet shave his rear end several times now since this started happening, although poop never used to get stuck in his fur before. The poop is literally just stuck to his skin and that's why I have such a hard time getting it off, and then his rear end gets irritated and raw (almost like a diaper rash). I know I should have addressed this issue sooner, but I was just hoping this was a phase he was going through because of my mom not being around.