Cat scooting across carpet (excessive licking) months after PU surgery

lshannon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Mackie had PU surgery in June 2021 and since then he has been scooting across the carpet every time he pees and then licks the area. We went back to the surgeon and he still had a stitch in his PU site and it was removed but still the scooting/licking continues. I took him to my regular vet and he had his anal glands expressed and was given an antibiotic. He is still scooting/licking. I've seen several posts about excessive licking after PU surgery but no resolution in those posts. Is there anyone who has had this issue and had any resolution?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's possible the scooting has nothing to do with the PU surgery. Maybe there is something in this thread that will be helpful

Or this one

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Excessive licking 1 year post PU surgery

Welcome to The Cat Site! You read all this, because I saw your new post at the end of that thread; just reposting it here as a point of reference .All of the members from that thread have not been back to TCS in years.

PU surgery is somewhat common here, so hopefully someone will respond who might have some experience. I have never had a cat who had PU surgery.

It sounds as if you have covered the bases....there was a stitch, so we know that hurt and was probably one reason for the scooting. Any other possible buried but undissolved stitches?

I also believe that nerve pain can play a part in these conditions. Can your vet do anything to see if it is that? The thing about nerve pain from surgery, even in humans, is that the worst or most irritating pain is not necessarily after the surgery. That is one type of discomfort, but as the nerves begin to regenerate, there can be pain, tingling, twitching, etc.

And, yes, as was stated above, it could be coincidental to something else and not related to the surgery.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I think it is wise to check into the above situational scenarios, but I also saw a number of posts on other forums, talking about this same issue. Some thought - with no confirmation - that it had to do with the hair growth in that area. Others thought it had to do with a change in the way they peed afterward - leading to what these cats deemed to be an unusual way to pee that ended up resulting in excess pee on their parts and they felt the need to clean that area excessively. There were a number of similar anomalies that no one ended up saying they had come to a conclusion/resolution.

I'd give it some time to see if it resolves itself. If it is in fact due to his being unaccustomed to getting pee on himself because he 'goes' differently than what he once did, he may very well 'adjust' on is own.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi. I think it is wise to check into the above situational scenarios, but I also saw a number of posts on other forums, talking about this same issue. Some thought - with no confirmation - that it had to do with the hair growth in that area. Others thought it had to do with a change in the way they peed afterward - leading to what these cats deemed to be an unusual way to pee that ended up resulting in excess pee on their parts and they felt the need to clean that area excessively. There were a number of similar anomalies that no one ended up saying they had come to a conclusion/resolution.

I'd give it some time to see if it resolves itself. If it is in fact due to his being unaccustomed to getting pee on himself because he 'goes' differently than what he once did, he may very well 'adjust' on is own.
Very interesting!

LocosMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any luck with this? My cat had PU surgery at the end of February and frequently over grooms until the site is pink/red and agitated 😫