Cat Scared of the Main Floor

mariya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! 

So a month ago, our cat suddenly just refused to go to the main floor no matter what I tried. His health is fine, and he's eating normally and using the litterbox. The only difference made during the onset of this behaviour was switching him over to Grain free dry cat food. He eats dry in the morning and wet at night. He adjusted well and is doing quite well.

He is affectionate and playful like always but he refuses to go downstairs. The litter is in the basement and well as all his toy, tree, and tent house. He goes downstairs to use the litter or when he's need quiet time. He also goes down when it's too hot. Litter box is in the basement because he took to the basement first after arriving and it has the least amount of traffic compared to the top and main floors. He has always been faithful w/ the litter.

We initially put the tree on the main floor but he NEVER used it and uses it a lot more downstairs. His food which was in the main floor, has been moved to my room. I also have a few toys in my room. 

We adopted him in November 2015 and he was totally friendly as soon as he arrived and he loved everyone. He would look out the window and chill on the couch and roll around the carpet. He just loved being where everyone else was.

But suddenly, last month he wouldnt dare go to the main floor. 

We took him to vet who suggested that something frightened him and to wait for him to come himself. Physically, he got a clean bill of health. The only time he goes down is to pass the main floor on his way to the basement. He bolts past the main floor and is very frightened of it. 

The vet kind of suggested a calming spray. I was wondering if anyone has any experience in a situation like this? is there a way to reintroduce him into our home? 

I've also looked at calming collars. How do they work? Any experience? thanks :)

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
It does sound like something has frightened him.  I'm wondering whether a feliway diffuser or spray would help?  I prefer the sprays as I don't really like having pheromones constantly floating around the house, but others say it can work wonders.

I would use the spray or diffuser, then sit just inside the space with some treats that your cat loves and see if you can gently tempt him back.