Cat Scared Of Tail Following Amputation

david23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat had about an inch of his tail surgically amputated a few days ago after an accident. The wound is doing well and he is taking regular pain meds. He's wearing a collar. Trouble is that he seems very scared of how the shaved end of his tail looks. Whenever he catches site of it he goes crazy and tries to run away from it which is very distressing for him and us. Any thoughts as to how this can be made easier for him?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Pain meds aren't going to take away the 'itchiness' that often goes along with healing. I am wondering if he is trying to get to his tail because it itches and is frustrated because the collar won't allow him to. He is also probably not all that happy with the collar in general - which is also frustrating him.

Do you have anything prescribed by the vet that can be put on his wound in case it is the itchiness that is bugging him?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck on your kitty’s ‘new’ tail. Our family cat had to get almost her entire tail amputated because she broke her last vertebrae in her spine ....... and her tail was dragging/getting sores on it . I think she skipped the crazy itchiness/freak out your boy has because her tail was paralyzed/numb.
:sickcat::vibes::petcat:
I think it is safe to assume it is feeling weird/odd and that his tail smells weird. I would defiantly try an itching cream because it couldn’t hurt.
:goodluck: