Cat Scared Of Litter Box

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww.... he's totally adorable. :catlove:

If it were me, I'd try stopping the dry food and see what happens. It can't hurt, and might solve the problem.

My Ruby has a sensitive digestive system, and had loose stools/diarrhea when I first adopted her. We eventually changed her to a duck ingredient wet food which literally solved things overnight.

Then earlier this year I started giving him some dry kibble as a treat. I sometimes thought it made things "looser", but then things would improve again.

A month or so ago, she started pooping a lot, mostly in the litter box, but some spotting around the house. I took her to the vet, and the vet said Ruby's digestive system was very gassy. She gave her a shot (not sure what) and I stopped the dry food, as well as her Temptations, and she's had perfectly formed stools ever since.

I'd been feeding her the kibble for several months before things got that bad, digestively, so it's possible it's taken time for your sweetie to react to the dry food.

Of course, it may not be that at all. But it can't hurt to try stopping it for a few days. :crossfingers:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe run it past your vet first, to see what they think.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ImInfinitee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: when I got home from work I found again some poop around, but not so much, not so soft and not so weird-colored like before (good that he uses the litter box at least for pee; now he also has two boxes, with different kinds of litter, and I hope he will start using them also for pooping).
Aaand, I think I also found the source of the problem: in one of his todays poops I found a big g (round, I think) worm...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ImInfinitee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Charlie seems be better now. His poop isn't that soft anymore, I also got the test results (roundworms, as I thought) and took him again to the vet. But he still doesn't use the litter box for pooping...

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poor little guy. Hopefully once the yucky worms are gone, you can retrain him to use the litter box.