Cat scared in the morning

nycats

Mother of 3 cats & fosters
Adult Cat
Purraise
My boy cat, Billi started hiding under the sofa in the morning. He does not even come out when I give food out. Aloo, the girl, is out and about, not having a care in the world, but Billi seems to be scared of something. Sometimes he comes out when I look under the sofa, but he stays really low to the ground and is obviously extremely cautious. Then he goes back under the couch. There is no loud noise or dog or anything. I've noticed that he was always under the couch in the morning, but he used to come out to eat breakfast, at least! When I come back from work, he is back to normal. What could be causing this behavior? I am puzzled.

kittywhiskers

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you have an alarm clock going in the mornings?
My cats don't like my telephone, they run and hide under the bed for a while. Just a thought seeing as it only happens in the morning.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nycats

Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi KittyWhiskers! Yes, I do have an alarm clock in the morning, but it's with my cell phone, and he is used to that by now. I have not changed the sound since I got them a year and a half ago. Hmm...when I wake up, he is on the top of the cat tree, but then at some point, he goes under the couch. He seems to have been a bit jumpy lately as well. Last night, I picked him up as usual, and he got startled by something at the same time, leaving a scratch from his hind claw, jumping off.

kittywhiskers

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you noticed any other cats about in the mornings, maybe one has been up to a window and spooked him. My Sasha can be a bit reactive sometimes for what seems like no apparent reason. She used to hide when the postman came but she's used to that now.

Last edited:

nycats

Adult Cat
Purraise
That's the thing! I live on the 3rd floor of an apartment building, and they are indoor only. All we see from the window are birds flying and the street. It's like he's spooked for no reason! I wish he could talk...

kittywhiskers

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh right, definitely not a cat then! Have you ever stood and watched him, watched what he does, where he goes first once he leaves the cat tree?
Is there anything that happens regularly every morning that that you take no notice of because your used to it like the heating comming on or the shower making strange noises or even a neighbour going out to work and slamming their front door?

nycats

Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I think I've heard the street cleaning car coming around once in a while in the morning, but I don't hear it every morning. People do make noises in the hallway, but he is usually curious about that and go near the door. When I first hit the snooze button, I see him lounging on the cat tree, but by the time I get out of bed, he is usually gone.

kittywhiskers

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Apart from watching exactly what he does after leaving the cat tree I can't think of anything else that might be causing him to get spooked every morning. Like you said, he is back to normal when you get home from work. Maybe somebody else could jump in with some more suggestions for you. I wish you the best of luck with Billi and I'm sorry I couldn't help you more.:)

nycats

Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh no, thank you for your ideas and suggestions! I will try and observe closer, but it's usually a bit difficult as I am getting ready for work in a hurry every morning hahaha. I am not a morning person!

kittywhiskers

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh no, thank you for your ideas and suggestions! I will try and observe closer, but it's usually a bit difficult as I am getting ready for work in a hurry every morning hahaha. I am not a morning person!
I'm not a morning person either, I've been known to hit that snooze button once or twice! :lol3:

mycatwasthebest

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
maybe he is just going to his daytime sleeping place?

perhaps he is up at night (like cats are)

and is waiting for you to leave to sleep uninterrupted

nycats

Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmmm I suppose...not sure. Today, he was out when I got out of bed and fed them. Then by the time I was leaving the house, he was under the sofa. Such a mystery man he is...

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did you ever figure out what was spooking him?
This is an old thread from 2014. The poster is not likely around.

Please feel free to make a post about your cat if you would like some support. If your cat is hiding though, it could be the onset of an illness and I would recommend a vet visit asap.