Cat scared after earthquake

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday we had a 5.1 earthquake and several aftershocks. He freaked out so bad and ran away. Hours later I finally got him back. It is the next morning and he is still hiding, big dilated eyes, slinking around. I at least got him to eat his lickable treat this morning. He may have munched on dry food during the night but I doubt it.

Any ideas what I can do to make him feel better?

Edit: gave him some catnip. He came out, ate it, spent a couple minutes walking around looking out the window like a hungry wolf was outside, then went back to hiding. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Last edited:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wait a few hours I expect. I've had fear linger from contractors and such, but never for much longer than that.

Animals are very sensitive to earthquakes, fires and zombie plagues because in the wild they have to know to run away. He'll be fine as long as you dont watch Walking Dead or Canadian news I expect.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It has been over 12 hours, he is still scared. But I guess baby steps. He came out then went back, then ventured out I think the catnip has officially kicked in. I had to get the poor guy stoned. 🤣

Which is good because my backup plan if this continued and he wouldn’t come out; was asking the vet for gabapentin,

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Entirely possible there are tiny aftershocks that he can feel while you can’t. Best thing for a cat with anxiety is to return to their normal routines and to act as though nothing unusual has happened or is happening. I wouldn’t do a vet visit or try a medication at this point, just wait it out. Offer him some catnip, If play distracts him then give it a try, but if he prefers to stay in hiding that Is fine too.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Best thing for a cat with anxiety is to return to their normal routines and to act as though nothing unusual has happened or is happening.
This is true for probably more than just cats or animals! But I agree... Keep routines the same. Talk, play music/TV - whatever was normal "before". Over time I think he'll relax again.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is true for probably more than just cats or animals! But I agree... Keep routines the same. Talk, play music/TV - whatever was normal "before". Over time I think he'll relax again.
The above mentioned is great advice. Also tons of love. Just try to comfort him. Try to play with him with his favorite toy. He is scared he just needs time and attention/affection and to go on as nothing is wrong. Hopefully by the end of today or early tomorrow he will be back to his normal self. Some cats just take longer to calm down than others. It is dependent on the cat. So just be there for him. Make sure he is eating and drinking. You might have to play with him to get him interested in eating.. because cats hunt (play), eat, then groom, and sleep. Just try to get him back on his routine asap.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is eating/drinking/peeing. Just now he got on my lap like normal (his first normal behavior since the quake.) Earlier I took a nap, convinced to come up and get under the blankets like normal & gave him lots of cuddles. Since he is out I will let him have his harness time if he wants it.

He was probably feeling tiny aftershocks & he is an easily stressed cat.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I don’t know if you’ve use any of the California earthquake apps, but if you look at one, you will probably see that there have been tons of very small aftershocks that you aren’t aware of, but that he is. Glad you are both safe.