Cat-safe Recliner Suggestion

jessica smith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I originally purchased a traditional static L-shaped couch for the living room when adopting the cats, as I feared the recliner we had with all its slicing linkages was just a nightmare waiting to happen with kittens running about.

However, I really miss having recliner couches and a recliner chair, and am wondering if anyone has done any research on a mid-grade brand that is specifically designed to be as safe as possible for pets? The kitties are adults now too, which should help a little.

Only needs to seat 3 people.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I've always just done a cat count before engaging the reclining part, up or down. You can't put plywood underneath like you can with a sleeper couch, so that's about all you can do.

If family members tend to forget, you can remove the handle (or hide the remote, if it's electric) and stick a note on it saying "watch for cats!" or something like that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessica smith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, I'm still too paranoid for that, and would have nighmares of slicing a cat's tail off just having it in the house.

I'm thinking with all these advanced super stretchable fabrics or an accordion design that there must be someone who makes cat-safe recliners that keep all the dangerous parts away from curious kitties.

I'll share if I find something.

Kgraham1511

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I read to take a an office chair Matt upside down where the little spikes are up. They won't like the feeling of the spikes. Also heard double sticky tap might work.

I personally haven't tried any of these.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a retro 1950s office chair and footstool. There are other lounge chair styles from the 1950s that might do instead of a recliner.

You can get something like this at Staples. I put the search in for retro 1950s lounge chairs and you can see some lovely pieces with prices that are more fitting for cars.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just replaced our old couch with recliners.

I was worried cats might get hurt underneath them, but looks like they figured out how to use them properly....in less than half a day.

Seriously ......... we will be extra careful.

The recliners are electric and cant be retracted or extended with out power. We set them to the position we want and then unplug them so the cats cant be hurt. Granted, this kind of defeats some of the benefits of having power recliners, but its a compromise for all.

Now we just have to wait till the boys are finished so we can use them.

Screenshot_2019-11-10-12-59-53.png