Cat safe plant?

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Im sorry if this isn't the right area for this! Or even the right forum.. but um, I wanted to ask if anyone has a clear answer on if columbines are safe for cats? Some sites say yes, some say no, and its becoming very frustrating getting an answer. I want to grow them, but I dont want any of my cat l cats getting hurt.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only info I can find say the seeds and roots are. I can't imagine a cat eating or getting to either in amounts large enough to hurt them. I have grown them for years in my garden and have never seen my cats chew on them at all. They much prefer grasses.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
According to Alphabetical index of poisonous plants - Midtown Animal Clinic, they have a toxicity of "2" which means if ingested it could cause mild illness, like vomiting or diarrhea.

Are you planning to grow them outside, and bring the flowers inside, where your cats might try to eat them?

Or are your cats indoor/outdoor? If they go outside, then I think di and bob di and bob is right, that they'll be more interested in eating grass than plants. Well, other than possibly cat nip. :catman:

But also, if they go outside, and leave your property, then the worry about them ingesting toxic plants spreads beyond your own garden and to those of your neighbours, who might grow day lilies, lily of the valley, etc. But, honestly, I think the dangers outside are higher from cars and other animals, than garden plants.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have probably found this out already. It is so difficult to find a satisfactory answer to the question whether or not a particular plant is poisonous for cats. Sometimes "poisonous" simply means "if they eat too much, it could make them vomit or feel unwell for a short time". In other cases it implies that just a small amount would kill them. Even herbs such as parsley are often considered poisonous for cats, although cats would have to do a bit more than just nibble a few leaves to notice any detrimental effects.

In the German database there is no case of a cat poisoned by eating columbine. But, all parts of the columbine plant are poisonous - in particular the seeds. There is however little cause for alarm because the plant tastes extremely bitter so that cats and dogs would hardly consider eating a sufficient number of leaves of the plant to make them sick. Unless you have a very inquisitive puppy, kitten or small child, who just has to chew everything, I don't think there is any danger, even if you want to keep a few plants indoors.

Go ahead with your hobby. If you will be growing columbine outdoors, I am sure there are far more poisonous plants and weeds out there which your cats simply ignore. When I had outdoor cats, there were numerous really toxic plants in the garden: lily-of-the-valley, yew, daffodils, hyacinths, Christmas rose, foxgloves and lots more where I can't remember the English names. In more than 30 years, no cat ever got poisoned. My children neither!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I plan on growing them inside, and our cats are indoor, so they will have contact with them. Im just really worried about one of the kittens. I cant even have fake flowers because he tries to eat them... Im glad its really bitter!! Hopefully that will deter him now. Thanks for the info. <3 Im glad that if he does eat some, it won't be life threatening to him.

Koda&Jack

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! The only plant that I know for certain is the spider plant. I have one on my shelf and my cats enjoy playing and sometimes chewing on it (they aren’t swallowing it) and they have been fine. Not to mention the spider plant is super easy to take care of!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I plan on growing them inside,
Will they grow well inside? I just did a quick Google search and didn't really find anything about growing them as house plants. And as they're perennials, just wonder how successful they'll grow inside.

I cant even have fake flowers because he tries to eat them.
With your little plant eater, it might be difficult getting your columbines to grow larger than sprouts. Keep them up high, or in a room the cats aren't allowed in, maybe.

I have only 2 types of indoor plants. African violets and Thanksgiving Cactus. Luckily they are safe for cats, as Ruby has chewed on both. Once though, she must have eaten too much Thanksgiving Cactus, as suddenly she did that howling thing, and up came vomit with little green leafy pieces. :cringe:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I honestly have no idea if they'll grow. Im new to growing plants, but im ambitious, so well see. :lovecat3: I was also definitely planning on getting African violets! Good to know they're completly safe in case he decides he wants a nibble.