Cat safe Cleaning products for laminate

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just got my old carpet replaced by laminate and want to know what products I can use to clean it. I'm perfume sensitive so things with Febreeze or perfumes and not desirable. Some have glycols which I figure are not healthy for cats.

Are there any hypoallergenic cleaning agents?

You get the idea. Best "mop" style products - non-toxic, and preferably odorless that clean. Ideas?

By the way, very funny watching the two learn to play with they now easily batted about toys. And their chases for now end with a lot of thuds, without carpet they don't know how to take high speed turns or sudden stops.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gosh I don't know.  I have switched to a steam mop for my kitchen and bathrooms but they are linoleum.  Did the manufacturer give any suggestions?  I know my mother uses something specifically for wood floors; but i'm not sure if they'd do ok for laminate too or if it fills what you are looking for. 

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have laminate (the fake wood looking stuff), and I make my own multi-purpose/floor cleaner. I also can't stand perfumey smells and what bugs me the most is the dyes that they add to most cleaners. Why in the world would I want a yellow-tinted cleaner? 

BUT...you have to tolerate the smell of vinegar for a short time while it dries and dissipates. Here's my recipe:

HOMEMADE FLOOR/ALL-PURPOSE CLEANER
Adapted from http://naturesnurtureblog.com/2012/04/19/homemade-floor-all-purpose-cleaner/. I do not use the essentials oils as the original recipe states. When using this for floors, it will temporarily make the room have a strong vinegar smell, but it DOES go away shortly after drying.

1 cup water
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup rubbing alcohol (acts as a disinfectant and helps surfaces to dry quickly)
2-3 drops Dawn or natural liquid Castile soap
Fine mist spray bottle (24 oz.)

Add all ingredients to spray bottle and shake well to combine. For floors: Sweep/vacuum floor to remove loose dust and hair. Mist floor lightly with cleaner. Wipe with a clean cloth. I use a Swiffer Sweeper with a bar mop cloth affixed to it. Allow the floor to dry completely before allowing pets to walk across it. Please do a spot test on your floors first to make sure you're going to be happy with the result! For countertops, stovetops, sinks, etc.: Simply spray and wipe.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We have laminate upstairs, and I use a steam cleaner on a low setting, with no detergents. The floor was put in in 91 or 92 and still looks good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Manufacturer says NO to steam on any setting.

I have a friend who cleans using vinegar - and when she stayed with me a few weeks I got to see how it works. Cannot STAND the smell of vinegar at all. But I do appreciate the answer. 

Any mild product that says laminate safe is fine with manufacturer - I just cannot stand the scent of Gain, Spring Breeze, Vanilla, whatever - and ESPECIALLY Febreeze products.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bona is unscented and can be used from a spray bottle/dry mop situation or in a swiffer-like device. Just gotta keep cats away for it to dry.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Manufacturer says NO to steam on any setting.
They always do, but I know plenty of other people who steamclean laminate. Ours still looks so good that people are surprised at how long we've had it. That could be due to no chemicals being used to clean it.