Cat safe air fresheners?

Razzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I just moved into an apartment and have adopted a cat!
But here's the thing...this place is rather smelly. x_X
I'm going to put in a maintenance request and see if that gets anywhere, but I also expect that could take a bit since it's a pretty big complex.
I'd like to use an air freshener to help with the smell (can't open the windows, don't want my cat getting out) but I'm also aware those can be bad for a cat.
Especially since she's very recently spayed!
Anyone have ideas on what my options are?
Thx!

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Imo your best course of action would be to get your windows catproofed with heavy duty screens, or even a catio space. Would be useful for the long-term, as well. Be sure to go for an option that’s heavy duty/pet proof if you go with screen mobile.
here are a couple US options

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Razzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Imo your best course of action would be to get your windows catproofed with heavy duty screens, or even a catio space. Would be useful for the long-term, as well. Be sure to go for an option that’s heavy duty/pet proof if you go with screen mobile.
here are a couple US options
Sounds good, but I might need to check if I'm allowed to use it here in this apartment.
I'll look into it still.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I've read numerous articles saying that Febreze isn't harmful to pets. And, I have used the fabric freshener around Feeby for years. I generally spray fabrics in rooms where she isn't present, just to be on the safe side - at least until it is thoroughly dry.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Baking soda sprinkled over your carpet then scrubbed in with a scrub brush. Let it sit for 24-48 hours, vacuum. You may have to vacuum twice. There is a tendency for carpets to smell with age. However, some cats and dogs are allergic to some of the dyes and processing chemicals on new carpet. this can cause itching and loss of hair. I say that to give you something positive to think of while vacuuming. You may want to repeat the baking soda scrub every few months. I did call Arm and Hammer and they said it was the base of their carpet freshener, which is baking soda and fragrance. You don't need fragrance.

don't forget the closet floors if they are carpeted.

For non- carpeted spaces mop with white vinegar and water. You can use this on the wall as well, though not on wall paper. Vinegar will remove wallpaper. Clean all the nooks and little places with this mixture, in the back of cabinets, corners, closet shelves, all the little places.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Razzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Baking soda sprinkled over your carpet then scrubbed in with a scrub brush. Let it sit for 24-48 hours, vacuum. You may have to vacuum twice. There is a tendency for carpets to smell with age. However, some cats and dogs are allergic to some of the dyes and processing chemicals on new carpet. this can cause itching and loss of hair. I say that to give you something positive to think of while vacuuming. You may want to repeat the baking soda scrub every few months. I did call Arm and Hammer and they said it was the base of their carpet freshener, which is baking soda and fragrance. You don't need fragrance.

don't forget the closet floors if they are carpeted.

For non- carpeted spaces mop with white vinegar and water. You can use this on the wall as well, though not on wall paper. Vinegar will remove wallpaper. Clean all the nooks and little places with this mixture, in the back of cabinets, corners, closet shelves, all the little places.
This is supposedly new carpet though...they added it before I moved in.
When I first moved in I assumed the smell was new paint and new carpet combined.
I guess I just need to find the source and take care of it?
Maintenance guy is coming by to fix my dryer so ideally he'll notice the scent and bring up what it is and what to do.
I mean, I HOPE he does.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can put kitty in her carrier while the maintenance guy is there, and toss a bath towel over the carrier, you'll know she's safe inside and not heading out the door in a panic. Locking her in a room doesn't always work, it's surprising what doors get opened when maintenance is at work. It should make her feel safer to be where she can't see the stranger.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
New carpets and paint can emit a chemical smell for a couple of weeks or so. Keep the place well ventilated. Open the windows as far as you can without the cat squeezing out from under it, about 3 inches or so. Run fans. Open the dryer and washer doors and let them air out. If it's a front loading washer, check the rubber door gasket and clean it if it's moldy or dirty looking. Put in a maintence request to have the HVAC system and vents checked and cleaned.

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would try an ozone machine, you’d need to vacate each space for 8 hours, so id you have different rooms to move around it, it would be a good option!