Cat(s) not using litter box

kseirafi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I've had my 2 cats for about 9 months now and they're about 11 months old. Their litter box is in my bathroom which is right by my bedroom. I keep my bedroom door closed at night so they don't wake me up with all their movement and wanting to play (I'm also a light sleeper). For a long time, there wasn't any issue. But lately, I've been waking up to see that one of them (or both, not sure) crapped in other areas in the house. I can't seem to find a way to get them to "hold it" until I wake up to open the door for them. And now, they sometimes don't use the litter box even when the door is open. Thought about installing a pet door so they can go outside into the yard. But if that's not an option, anyone have any ideas or tips?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

So I've had my 2 cats for about 9 months now and they're about 11 months old. Their litter box is in my bathroom which is right by my bedroom. I keep my bedroom door closed at night so they don't wake me up with all their movement and wanting to play (I'm also a light sleeper). For a long time, there wasn't any issue. But lately, I've been waking up to see that one of them (or both, not sure) crapped in other areas in the house. I can't seem to find a way to get them to "hold it" until I wake up to open the door for them. And now, they sometimes don't use the litter box even when the door is open. Thought about installing a pet door so they can go outside into the yard. But if that's not an option, anyone have any ideas or tips?
The golden rule for litter boxes if one per cat and one extra.  That means you need to have 3 litter boxes.  There is no way a cat can hold it all night long.  You need to find other places for a litter box.  Allowing them access outside is very unsafe.  You also may end up with other wild life entering our home.

There are many cabinets you can buy to house a litter box so that it doesn't show.  Do a google search on litter box cabinets and you will find quite a few.  You definitely need more litter boxes.

Also are these 2 spayed/neutered?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kseirafi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply ShadowsRescue!

I'll definitely look into those cabinets. I was also thinking of getting one of those self-cleaning boxes that they can use at night where they sleep and keep the original box in the bathroom for their day use. Would that confuse them? Are their litter boxes supposed to be in one place and one place only? 

Yes, both are neutered/spayed. 

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thanks for the reply ShadowsRescue!

I'll definitely look into those cabinets. I was also thinking of getting one of those self-cleaning boxes that they can use at night where they sleep and keep the original box in the bathroom for their day use. Would that confuse them? Are their litter boxes supposed to be in one place and one place only? 

Yes, both are neutered/spayed. 
I scatter my boxes in different rooms.  I have two on my 2nd floor and one on my main floor.  I have two of my boxes in cabinets.  One of them is this one

I also have a larger one I bought for a super cheap price 4 years ago.  Now the price has almost tripled, but the cabinet is very nice and no one knows it is used to house a litter box.

http://www.wayfair.com/Merry-Products-Kitty-Condo-Bench-MPS0010-MRP1027.html

All 3 of my boxes are in different locations.  I show them to the cats and that is all it takes. 

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is your concern with having boxes elsewhere about smell? I have a covered box in my living room that I scoop daily. No one ever notices that it's there.

I agree that it's unfair to ask them to hold it all night and dangerous to let them outside. The good news is that more litter boxes should fix your issues!

kseirafi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@ShadowsRescue  Thanks for the examples! Problem is I live in a small house and don't have enough space for several of these cabinets unless I find one that can fit two litter boxes. 

@talkingpea

kseirafi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@talkingpeanut  the odor is definitely the main reason why I've kept the litter box in my bathroom and haven't placed it anywhere else. I realize I need more than one now so space is also an issue. I've read that using air freshener to eliminate the odor scares the cats from using the box. So they're several problems all compounded into one!

@ShadowsRescue  I also read that I might need to retrain them to use their boxes. Part of that entails figuring out if the litter is suitable. I never had a problem with it before, but I read that if they're pooping on a rug (which they have been), I might need to get finer or softer litter. Also, I came across something that said to use an enzymatic cleaner such as Petastic in the areas outside of their box where they've been pooping to deter them from doing it again. Any thoughts? 

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An enzyme cleaner is definitely necessary anywhere that they've gone inappropriately.  If you use scoopable litter, scoop every day, and empty and clean the whole box every other week there should be almost no odor.  I feed my cat a mostly raw diet, which also helps.  Generally, less by-product in the food means less stinky poop.  I would say that you should treat the problem, not the symptom, in this case.

You can also try cat attract cat litter.  It helps to draw kitties to the box.

kseirafi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@ShadowsRescue

@talkingpeanut

Just wanted to report back to you guys. I'm using 2 litter boxes now and my cats are way happier. No more accidents. :) 

Thanks a bunch!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great!! Were you able to put one outside the bathroom?

Last edited:

kseirafi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, it would have been too much of a hassle. So I just put a second litter box in the bathroom and have been keeping the door open. They don't go crazy wanting to play like they used to when they were younger. I guess they've calmed down a bit.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

No, it would have been too much of a hassle. So I just put a second litter box in the bathroom and have been keeping the door open. They don't go crazy wanting to play like they used to when they were younger. I guess they've calmed down a bit.
That's great.  I'm glad you've found a compromise that works for all.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for coming back to update.  So glad everything is much better.  I am sure you are relieved!