Cat running and hiding after syringe feeding

runekeeper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry for posting so many topics about my one cat across all the sections. I recently had to start force feeding my cat because he's got a fatty liver and needs food. Unfortunately, not only has his almost nonexistent appetite completely disappeared, but his behavior has changed radically since Friday. Prior to Friday, Kip was happy, perky and vocal...sure he was anorexic, but he was happy to see me and be near me. After just a few days of syringe feeding, the foods he was willing to eat on his own have decreased, now to the point that he won't even drink water on his own.
I intended to give him a break today from the feedings since he seemed to happily eat chicken on his own, but alas, today he has absolutely zero interest in any food. He doesn't even sniff the chicken, he just turns his head away. I don't know if this means he's getting worse in terms of health or not, but I do wonder....could my force feeding him have caused these behavioral changes? Seriously, I noticed massive behavioral changes right after I force fed the first time. Now he hides from me, runs when he sees me, or if he doesn't run and hide, he won't purr when I pet him and scrambles to get out of my arms. It's like he's a totally different cat. I'd like to just stop the feedings to see if his behavior returns to normal, but I can't do that because there's no telling if he'll eat again, and his lack of eating is what got him in this mess in the first place.

Has anyone ever had their cat behave this way after force feeding? I've syringe fed one other cat and she put up a fight, but she acted normal afterward.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think everything is related to his mouth problems honestly. Having a painful mouth could definitely have led to eating less which caused the hepatic lipidosis. Depending on how much he's fighting you, the syringe feeding could be hurting his mouth too. I have only syringe fed my cat once, and while she struggled a little, she was fine afterwards.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

runekeeper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He put up a huge fight the first couple times I fed him, but now he doesn't. Not with food anyway, though he does flail around when I water him. Unfortunately, his primary issue has become his liver, so the teeth will have to go on the back burner until I learn if this force feeding is going to even help him. If it is, then that would mean he does have a fatty liver after all (vet said she wasn't 100% sure, but that his blood test results seem to indicate the hepatic lipidosis) and the vet wants me to try and get that under control before doing anything to his teeth. I don't think his teeth are bothering him when I feed him and what he's doing is just the struggling one would normally expect from a cat.
I'm not saying his teeth wouldn't have caused the HL, but I'm concerned with his sudden change in behavior and if it's strictly due to stress from feeding or if there's another reason.