cat rubs its nose after eating/drinking

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've noticed lately that my 10 year old girl cat will use her right paw to rub her nose after eating/drinking. Is this a sign she is in pain? Is it grooming? It's a fairly new-ish behavior. Is this perhaps b/c of allergies?

We had a vet visit yesterday b/c she peed on the bed and the vet mentioned while examining her mouth that the cat might have allergies. She does seem to have seasonal allergies as she sneezes a bit more in the spring.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I've noticed lately that my 10 year old girl cat will use her right paw to rub her nose after eating/drinking. Is this a sign she is in pain? Is it grooming? It's a fairly new-ish behavior. Is this perhaps b/c of allergies?

We had a vet visit yesterday b/c she peed on the bed and the vet mentioned while examining her mouth that the cat might have allergies. She does seem to have seasonal allergies as she sneezes a bit more in the spring.
I assume the vet didnt see anything in her mouth. A toothache would be the first thing I would think of with an older cat. Has she ever had her teeth cleaned? if not, maybe there is something going on with a tooth that just isn’t visible by a quick oral exam.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I guess it would be helpful to know why the vet came to the conclusion of a possible allergy, especially while looking at her mouth. Did they explain their reasoning to you? What is behind the peeing on the bed?

If she is experiencing any congestion, sometimes a cat will breathe more through their mouth than their nose, which can be somewhat interrupted by eating. The fact that she isn't pawing at her mouth while eating, would seem to lessen the chance of pain being involved, at least not from an eating standpoint. But her nose may be bugging her if there is any stuffiness going on, and it is more apparent to her after she is finished eating and is ready to do the usual grooming.

All conjecture with little to go on otherwise.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I guess it would be helpful to know why the vet came to the conclusion of a possible allergy, especially while looking at her mouth. Did they explain their reasoning to you? What is behind the peeing on the bed?
She kinda explained it but I'm very hard of hearing and we had a long visit so even if I heard I doubt I'd remember. It was something she saw where she was like "oh that could be from an allergy, food or seasonal" but it didn't seem to be anything of super importance.

I do not think she was connecting it to peeing on the bed. As you, and a lot of others here know, my girl has had some challenges in the past year and when she goes in for an exam it's more thorough than usual and every little anomaly is noted. Like she gave up a urine sample pretty readily when in the past she has been a struggle to the point the vet and tech high-five when they can get one from her.

Your conjecture seems reasonable. She has done it while resting of the couch with me too so it's not solely connected with eating/drinking.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It was something she saw where she was like "oh that could be from an allergy, food or seasonal" but it didn't seem to be anything of super importance.
My memory isn't what it used to be, and if I don't exactly understand something to begin with, I am less inclined to remember it. You have two options here, IMO. 1.) ask for a copy of the vet's notes and see what she wrote down - assuming you can actually decipher the scribbled notes, or 2.) send an email asking if they could explain to you the parts you need clarified. I have had great success with the latter and keep all those email responses as part of Feeby's records.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've had a few cats that had seasonal allergies. My vet had me use plain saline eye drops. Their eye/nasal area is very small and easily congested. A drop in each eye will help loosen and clear the mucus.

I just get the generic brand at the drugstore. Make sure saline is the only ingredient.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
She kinda explained it but I'm very hard of hearing and we had a long visit so even if I heard I doubt I'd remember. It was something she saw where she was like "oh that could be from an allergy, food or seasonal" but it didn't seem to be anything of super importance.

I do not think she was connecting it to peeing on the bed. As you, and a lot of others here know, my girl has had some challenges in the past year and when she goes in for an exam it's more thorough than usual and every little anomaly is noted. Like she gave up a urine sample pretty readily when in the past she has been a struggle to the point the vet and tech high-five when they can get one from her.

Your conjecture seems reasonable. She has done it while resting of the couch with me too so it's not solely connected with eating/drinking.
When my cat had a cold she was pawing at her nose. Any doctors appointment I have my mom go with me. She's 82 yrs old but has a better memory and hearing than me. Plus get copies. There are also small gadgets to record conversations.