Cat Room?

Darkiplier

The Sire
Adult Cat
Purraise
Any ideas on where I could put the litterbox, dishes, and cat tower for my potential cat? The bathroom isn't an option (wouldn't want my cat waiting outside (or inside) while I take my sweet time) and neither is the kitchen. My room is carpeted and actually has no space for any of those things (possibly only a bed), and I don't know if putting them in a 'public' place like the halls would be a good idea.

What about the cat tower? I think they could manage some rearranging and find it a spot, but it'd be too close to some shelves (which are just about everywhere in this damned house) and I wouldn't want the cat pushing stuff off. I wouldn't want to install glass panes either, as a) the cat might hurt itself and b) that's not an option.

If I get a cat, it'd be a Siamese, which is why the cat tower's a priority. Also it's very aesthetically pleasing.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cats them self do not take up much room, but you do have to have room for their things. :)

You will need a litter box, hopeful in a spot where the cat can get to it easy, but still out of the way enough that it can go in peace. Food bowls and water bowls are a necessity, and should not be next to the litter box. A lot of people feed in the kitchen or dinning room, i do. and litter box can go in the hall if its not to busy? Carpeted rooms are ok for the box, just get a big enough box that the cat wont pee over the edge. you can get those box mats to put under it to catch any over spill.

Cat trees are very nice, and cats like them a lot. I dont guess its as big a necessity as the other items, but if its near a shelf the cat will go to the shelves. You will need to make sure he cat get hurt on the shelf or anything on it.

Cats are wonderful family members, i think everyone should have one, two or more :) However they are also a responsibility, just like a kid. Only get one if you are ready to make the accommodations, or have room too bring one into your life. And the resources for a vet visit now and again. If you truly dont have room for one right now, maybe wait until you move and do? If you do want one now, then you will need to figure out good safe spots for the food and water, and a litter box, before you bring a cat home. Best of luck, keep us updated :)

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree. I think if you give it some more thought you can think of a good spot for a litter box. Definitely don't put the food and water bowls next to it. I also put my cats water and food bowls on the kitchen floor. The litter box is in a back bedroom closet with a litter mat underneath. I have a cat tree sitting next to a window so she can jump on it and watch the birds and squirrels outdoors. She also loves it when I can open the window and she can smell and hear the outside.

Its good to have furnishings the cat can use like a cat tree or even cat shelves. If the cat is young they tend to climb on lots of things and jump on everything so you will have to cat proof your home. Older cats tend to grow out of this stage and by that time you know which furnishings they prefer and can make safe for them.

Cats 'scent' mark around the house to indicate their territory so having furnishings with their scent on them makes them feel confident. A confident cat is one that feels comfortable in any corner of they home.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad you are thinking ahead before jumping into becoming a cat parent of a Siamese. All the above advice is very helpful. I definitely agree that placing a cat tree by a window so he/she can watch birds, squirrels and any other outdoor wildlife provides entertainment for them. One other item I'd like to mention is a cat scratcher, also very important. Here is an Article that may be helpful: 15 Things You Should Know Before Adopting A Cat

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If I get a cat, it'd be a Siamese, which is why the cat tower's a priority
Not sure what you mean by this as all cats benefit from cat trees. They aren't siamese specific.

I've had several siamese in my lifetime from cross-tabbies to seal point and chocolate point. What distinguishes siamese from some other breeds is their distinctive color markings and blue eyes. They also tend to be very expressive and 'talk' a lot. This is not a soft meow but a very loud demanding meow. They can be very affectionate to very clingy to then completely ignoring you. They are very inquisitive and love to explore and get into lots of mischief. So be prepared with cat toys to interact and engage her curiosity and give her lots of exercise. Siamese can be very loving but also very quirky and you will have lots of love and laughs with your new kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Darkiplier

The Sire
Adult Cat
Purraise
cat scratcher
Don't cat trees usually have one of these built into them?

Not sure what you mean by this as all cats benefit from cat trees. They aren't siamese specific.
I know, but I read somewhere that Siamese cats especially love high places. Since I can't get cat shelves and whatnot, that'll be the closest thing to that I could get my filthy hands on.

The only issue is the window issue. I don't think I can put the cat tower near a window as the only window in my room is actually the balcony door. There's the dining room, which overlooks a decent garden, but I'm planning to keep my turtles there; also I'd want the tower to be in a more active spot. There's also the room where I keep the bird (who can always be moved) but it's too crowded and, even if the little zebra finch wasn't there, would be closed at most times. The cat could get stuck in the junk or something could fall on her. That and she'll get really dusty, and nobody wants that.

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Climbing will depend on the cat's personality. Some cats love to climp to the top of the highest places they can get into while others are satisfied with beds, dressers, countertops.

I had a black cat that could jump all the way to the top of highboys, bureaus, and cabinets that were close to the ceiling and perch there to watch what was going on below. I've had other climbers too that grew out of that phase fairly quickly. The siamese were the same as others, some like high places while others prefer a comfy couch or bed. Every cat with the exception of one loved to perch on cat trees.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
Siamese cats are beautiful, very loving, and a lot of work. The combination of high energy, high intelligence, high sociability makes for a very high maintaince cat. Imagine an indoor border collie that can (and will) make a scream that is almost identical to baby that is being boiled alive (or at least what I imagine a baby would scream like if boiled alive) when unhappy, and you won't be too far off.

If you get a Siamese (and they are amazing cats if you are up for the challenge), I suggest you seriously consider getting a well bonded pair of siblings. If I had it to over again, I'd have done that (and my wife and I work from home and have no children, so you cant' really get a scenario more optimal for a single cat...) they do talk, and mine, at least, has learned to say a few human words, a bit like a parrot does.

I'm not a fan of cat trees, per say, and prefer to set up high spaces in a more natural way. Specifically, I use a mixture of furniture ( bookshelves, etc) and window perches, as well as independent scratching posts.

A combination scratching post and place for cats to lounge that has worked well for me is the big figure eight type cardboard ones, which, in addition to being a huge hit with my cat are also far and away the least ugly cat scratching post option I know of, and thus are good in my livingroom. The Pioneer pet post is probably an even better scratching post, and is almost like a mini cat tree if you add the perch on the top ( the top perch is lower quality, but my cat likes it anyhow.)

For vertical space, I use both the single and double perch by K&H and have good results (I find that the double is a bit more stable and secure, so I recommend it a bit more highly, but both are nice), as well as book shelves. (I use a double perch as a stair she can use to get on a lower book shelf, then higher one, then a bridge I made that crosses to another similar height one)

Darkiplier

The Sire
Adult Cat
Purraise
I suggest you seriously consider getting a well bonded pair of siblings.
Okay, lil story time/context.

We neither have breeders (for cats) nor shelters over here, so the only option is pet shops. I found a beautiful cat (who seems to ignore my hand when I reach into the cage but gains a sudden interest when I'm reaching above the cage) that I've got my eyes on. His cage is also occupied by a little orange longhair who, according to the guy, is a glutton (sounds familiar?). Should I get the two or should I ask him to bring me 'nuther Siamese? Also, if they're well socialized, do I still need two litter boxes?
Wait, could I just put this in the middle of the room? Terrible idea, I know, but... You know... Requires a lot less refurbishing.
The Pioneer pet post is probably an even better scratching post
That I like.
For vertical space, I use both the single and double perch by K&H
I don't like these suction cup (?) things. They don't look nearly as safe or good as I'd like.

soubida

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have our "cat room" in the basement.. well actually it was the old laundry room that we "converted" into a cat room, her litter and food/water/grass are all there; but we also keep another set of food/water upstairs in case she wants to eat but is too lazy to go downstairs LOL. Honestly though, having a "cat room" isn't super practical, because I find that after the first week the cat is just much happier sleeping on my bed..

For the tower, I feel like it's actually better to have a tower on every level of the house, or at least spread a couple throughout the house.. because I find that the cat likes to scratch random things if she can't find a tower.. so I actually ended up getting 2 small towers and a scratching post for her so she can scratch whenever she wants...

soubida

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Should I get the two or should I ask him to bring me 'nuther Siamese? Also, if they're well socialized, do I still need two litter boxes?
you need n+1 litter boxes, so if you have 2 cats then you need 3 litter boxes

Darkiplier

The Sire
Adult Cat
Purraise
you need n+1 litter boxes, so if you have 2 cats then you need 3 litter boxes
I know a dood who has three cats and about one or two litterboxes. Is the n+1 rule a safety rule, or is it a necessity? Or does it depend on the cats' personalities?

Darkiplier

The Sire
Adult Cat
Purraise
For the tower, I feel like it's actually better to have a tower on every level of the house
It's an apartment. And not a very big one, too. Not small, just full of junk.

soubida

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know a dood who has three cats and about one or two litterboxes. Is the n+1 rule a safety rule, or is it a necessity? Or does it depend on the cats' personalities?
I guess it depends on the cats too? But it can seriously stress the cat(s) out if there aren't enough boxes

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
One box per cat is really a minimum. You may need more to keep the peace ( which is why n+1 is recommended.)

You can put the figure 8 in the middle of a room if you want. i put mine along a wall so and the aesthetic hit is pretty mild, but your cat would probably like it in the middle of a room.

If you like the pioneer pet one better, go for it. it is a great post, that will last for years, I just think the figure 8 type looks nicer, so that is my livingroom post ( I have a pioneer pet in my bedroom for my cat, and she uses it all the time.)

Properly used, the suction cup window ledges are pretty darned stable ( especially the double decker one), but they also make some that you attach to your window sill with velcro or screws the screws are better obviously). You can get a traditional cat tree as well, if you like, the work out okay for most people. I just find the ledge units work better for me and my cat.