Cat rivalry

shanticat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our only-cat family changed into a two-cat one a few months ago. Navi, the male was here 1st and the only cat for 8 months. We got a new cat after our dog died (terrible experience & I think he still misses the dog). The new cat is a rescue stray & it took us a couple months to get them even near each other. Navi hasn't been able to get the female to play with him; I wonder if she will ever be playful. He's almost twice her sz & always chases her. So far, she will only go in two bedrooms upstairs. Every time she tries to go downstairs, Navi chases her back upstairs where she either jumps up on furniture or sits on the window sill staring out in the yard. She chases him too, but to get him out of her territory. Navi used to sleep on the bed with my husband & me, but the new cat bumped him out of his spot on the bed. Even though she's smaller than Navi, she's fiercer. This bed thing is probably the crux of the problem. Any suggestions on what to do?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It looks like both have their territories set. Navi downstairs and (what is her name?) fierce little girl upstairs and your bed. It is normal that they chase each other. It's good they're not fighting. Have you tried exchanging scents by rubbing a towel on both? How about rewarding them with treats when they seem to be friendly with each other? In time, they'll be sharing the house almost equally.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shanticat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the response, Yayi. It's hard to think of a treat for Navi because he hates dried food and is allergic to quite a few foods including chicken.