Cat Repellant

dockie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi folks, new here. I have two beautiful Rag Doll kitty adult kittens, who are not allowed outside! Are there any products that may keep them away from the front door so they don't bolt out?

I'm sorry if this is an old topic, but new for me!

The best anti bolt "stay away from going out Out our front door"spray would be appreciated if there is one.

Last edited by a moderator:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always look around and say BACK really loudly if one is close. If they persist I stomp my foot and say back again. Over time they have learned and now back up completely when I say back. The bad thing about them 'darting out' like this is teh possibility of shutting then in the door. That air spray above would work well to scare them.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats generally don't like the scents of citronella, lavender, peppermint/mint, rosemary, vinegar, or citrus like lemon and orange. Cats also really don't care for spices, for example cinnamon and cloves.

So if you want some a tad more gentler or natural, and/or easy to make at home, those might be some nice options.

And make your house smell good at the same time :thumbsup: kind of a win-win.

Good luck!

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats don't like tea tree oil which we often use as a repellant for when they venture into "no-go" areas of the house. They don't like peppermint or orange blossom either - though they love orange (but not lemon), so I guess it just depends on what taste buds your kittens have!

Kelise

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Be careful using essential oils. They can be extremely toxic to cats.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be careful using essential oils. They can be extremely toxic to cats.
We do not use tea tree directly on the cats - when we're wearing it for whatever reason, it sort of acts as an automatic repellant as they don't like it so they come away from the area we're in. Thank you for the warning though - being a fairly new cat owner I wasn't aware of this.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cats don't like tea tree oil which we often use as a repellant for when they venture into "no-go" areas of the house. They don't like peppermint or orange blossom either - though they love orange (but not lemon), so I guess it just depends on what taste buds your kittens have!
Please stop using tea tree oil. Your cats don't like it because it is toxic to cats. A small amount ingested will kill your cats. We had a member whose cat died from it. I've heard of cats who are especially sensitive dying from a single drop while others just have severe neurological side effects.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please stop using tea tree oil. Your cats don't like it because it is toxic to cats. A small amount ingested will kill your cats. We had a member whose cat died from it.
Oh gosh, well, that scared me a bit. I try my best to create a good environment for my cats. As I said I am fairly new so I am unaware of these things - now I feel awful ...

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh gosh, well, that scared me a bit. I try my best to create a good environment for my cats. As I said I am fairly new so I am unaware of these things - now I feel awful ...
Don't feel awful. Not knowing does not mean your a bad person. But tea tree oil is one of the top bad oils out there. Cats bodies can't process essentials oils well in general, they can build up to toxic levels very quickly because of the oil part. But tea tree oil is one of the few that it isn't just the oil aspect but the tea tree essence itself that functions as a neurotoxin. I tend to come off strong on it because I did have conversations with the person whose cat died and I don't want to see another person go through that.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't feel awful. Not knowing does not mean your a bad person. But tea tree oil is one of the top bad oils out there. Cats bodies can't process essentials oils well in general, they can build up to toxic levels very quickly because of the oil part. But tea tree oil is one of the few that it isn't just the oil aspect but the tea tree essence itself that functions as a neurotoxin. I tend to come off strong on it because I did have conversations with the person whose cat died and I don't want to see another person go through that.
Thank you - I've learnt so much through TCS!
I'm sorry to hear about the cat who passed away. Will definitely be keeping all tea tree oil out of reach and sight from the cats and will use other remedies.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just always kept an eye out and gave a firm NO! I had a female once who was a door dasher. I remember chasing her all over the neighborhood one afternoon calling her name like an idiot and while she trotted down the block and in the end she ended up returning to the house where I snatched her up! I held on tight to her, cried and told her please don't do that again! I love you!