Cat Refusing To Eat Or Drink

cat1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone and thank you for having me in this forum.
I am the mother of 7 furry kitties. All spayed. Five of them indoor and two indoor/outdoor.

One of my cats, my 11 yr old Benji, started not eating three weeks ago. Because this is very uncommon for him, I weighed him and realized that he had lost almost 1 kg (he was normally 4.5 kg) so I took him to the vet. He had blood test and ultrasound and we found that his liver was swollen, he had high blood sugar and his white blood cells were high. The vet started the drip because he was dehydrated and antibiotics and I started feeding him Royal Canin Recovery can food with a syringe.
After a week his next blood tests showed normal liver and kidneys but still high white blood cells. My cat had lost half his weight and he weighs now 2.3 kg. A week ago he started eating a bit on his own but since he just licked the food I continued syringe feeding him.
I have tried every possible food, even human Gerber but he still doesn't eat or drink water. There is no apparent problem. He now purrs and is more lively than some days ago that he would sleep on the side almost dying.
Has anyone had similar problems with their cat? Do you think that he will ever recover?
My vet told me to give him insulin injections for a few days to lower the blood sugar and I do for a couple of days and he is going to have blood tests again on Tuesday. He also has anemia of course being only skin and bones.

I would love to hear your point of view. I would not consider putting him to sleep an option even if he doesn't want to fight whatever it is. I can syringe feed him for as long as it takes, I don't mind skipping vacation this year or anything as long as I can have him near me for as long as possible.

Please share your thoughts. I would very much appreciate it.
Thank you so much!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many cats have really high stress-induced blood glucose levels at the vet's office. Unless a fructosamine was done, I would not worry about the glucose level that regular blood work includes. Diabetic cats lose weight but they are also super hungry and super thirsty and pee large amounts of sugary urine. Does your cat show these common signs of diabetes? I honestly wouldn't give a cat insulin injections without a confirmed diagnosis of diabetes.

IBD and gastrointestinal issues can cause weight loss and inappetance. Dental issues can be painful and also cause weight loss and reluctance to eat. Can you get a second opinion from another vet?

You can try this liver shake to get some nutrients into your cat: "liver Shake" Recipe For Inappetant Cats It makes a lot so freeze whatever won't be used up in a few days. Ice cube trays work great for this.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless him! i dont have any real advice, i just wanted to say i am sorry he is having these problems. LTS3 had a good suggestion about the liver shake.

Sending you guys my best wishes and thoughts. do keep us updated on him!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am the mother of 7 furry kitties. All spayed. Five of them indoor and two indoor/outdoor.

One of my cats, my 11 yr old Benji, started not eating three weeks ago. Because this is very uncommon for him, I weighed him and realized that he had lost almost 1 kg (he was normally 4.5 kg) so I took him to the vet. He had blood test and ultrasound and we found that his liver was swollen, he had high blood sugar and his white blood cells were high. The vet started the drip because he was dehydrated and antibiotics and I started feeding him Royal Canin Recovery can food with a syringe.
After a week his next blood tests showed normal liver and kidneys but still high white blood cells. My cat had lost half his weight and he weighs now 2.3 kg. A week ago he started eating a bit on his own but since he just licked the food I continued syringe feeding him.
I have tried every possible food, even human Gerber but he still doesn't eat or drink water. There is no apparent problem. He now purrs and is more lively than some days ago that he would sleep on the side almost dying.
Has anyone had similar problems with their cat? Do you think that he will ever recover?
My vet told me to give him insulin injections for a few days to lower the blood sugar and I do for a couple of days and he is going to have blood tests again on Tuesday. He also has anemia of course being only skin and bones.

I would love to hear your point of view. I would not consider putting him to sleep an option even if he doesn't want to fight whatever it is. I can syringe feed him for as long as it takes, I don't mind skipping vacation this year or anything as long as I can have him near me for as long as possible.

Thank you so much!
Welcome cat1967 cat1967 and Benji to TCS and of course I am sure we all wish it was under happier circumstances. I agree with you 100% -- while there's life there's hope, and while someone is eating, that means they are making an effort to nourish themselves, which is also hopeful. There are various preparations one can buy and give to inappetant cats, including Clinicare liquid (tinned). You might also visit drsfostersmith.com, the website of Drs. Foster & Smith, started by the two aforenamed veterinarians. I buy all of my cats' food and supplies from them and have done so for a long time. They also have Rx and OTC medications of all kinds and will work in conjunction with Benji's vet to ensure he has what he needs Rx-wise.
I would strongly encourage that he, as well as your other cats, be kept indoors-only for their safety and your peace of mind.
And if you are spiritual at all, Prayers do truly help. Please keep us informed, and I pray your Benji will rally, improve, and thrive.

Tabbytastic

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Thank you so much!
I’m sorry to hear this. You say you are having more blood tests on Tuesday. It is worth having the FPLI (Feline Pancreatic Lipase) blood test, if you haven’t already done so, as pancreatitis is another nasty that causes cats to stop eating, drinking and lose weight.

Please keep us posted!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you so much!
*PRAYERS* for Benji and hopeful for some good news. :vibes::vibes::vibes::caticon::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had many cats at death's door and they have recovered when almost all hope was lost. So don't give up, he still might rally. Sometimes though, no matter how much we do it is not enough. If it is his time it is his time, only time will tell. I agree with the above, as long as there is life there is hope. Now is not the time to worry WHAT he eats, just get him to eat, There was a time when my Burt would only eat bacon, but it sparked an appetite and he ate once again. Offer fast food hamburger patties, another favorite, Arby's roast beef, canned tuna, and those packaged pouches of cat food that cats love so much for their gravy.
I hope you know you are doing all you can, and more than most, and him feeling your caring and love will do him more good than anything. I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers, all the luck and please come here if you need any kind of support, we will be here!

Tabbytastic

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Thank you so much!
I have been thinking of you and Benji the last couple of days and I hope he has started eating a little or you have been able to get some food into him. I sympathise, as I know how hard and exhausting it is when they won’t eat. I know you are doing all you can.

I am in total agreement with di and bob; don’t worry about what food you are giving him right now so long as he has something.

I wish you both well and hope everything went well with blood tests.

ej x

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Try rebound, even add some water to hydrate. They love the taste full of nutrients can buy at amazon. Please update!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dear ladies, I had trouble posting, I don't know but some error seems to appear on my screen whenever I try to post a reply to each one of you.
I would like to say that whether Benji makes it or not, I have to thank you more than enough for all your advice and support.

One day he seems better, the next he is again over a bowl of water he never drinks. I still force feed him of course. He only comes close to me and I can barely hear his purr most of the time. He seems tired but I AM NOT GIVING UP. So, I am trying all kinds of foods he smells a little and he eats just one bite then nothing he leaves. I will feed him for as long as it takes with the hope that one day he will start gaining weight and have his appetite back.

We had the blood test for T3 and T4 which have to do with the theroid glands and everything is normal there.

I will keep you updated of course and one more time huge thank you lots of hugs and kisses to all of you kind and sensitive people.

ej x

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, so my girl started losing weight, everything in her panel is normal. Rebound really helped her gain some weight, and they love the taste.

Take an RX she might be constipated, or have megacolon. Also parasites might be a factor.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dear ladies, I had trouble posting, I don't know but some error seems to appear on my screen whenever I try to post a reply to each one of you.
I would like to say that whether Benji makes it or not, I have to thank you more than enough for all your advice and support.

One day he seems better, the next he is again over a bowl of water he never drinks. I still force feed him of course. He only comes close to me and I can barely hear his purr most of the time. He seems tired but I AM NOT GIVING UP. So, I am trying all kinds of foods he smells a little and he eats just one bite then nothing he leaves. I will feed him for as long as it takes with the hope that one day he will start gaining weight and have his appetite back.

We had the blood test for T3 and T4 which have to do with the theroid glands and everything is normal there.

I will keep you updated of course and one more time huge thank you lots of hugs and kisses to all of you kind and sensitive people.
Our *PRAYERS* continue for Benji! And you might want to ask for help and see if the problem can't be solved. If you give more details, someone might be able to help.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise

:alright: :hearthrob::redheartpump: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::sickcat::hugs: :grouphug::grouphug2:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh Lordy when it rains it pours!!!
Maybe contact a mod about the problems posting? They are super helpful and kind with stuff like that =)

I hope things improve. The one day he's better, next day he's not is such an emotional roller coaster that solidifies my ideas that "when they feel bad, we feel bad and when they feel good, we feel good." In similar situations one of my pets are doing poorly and I spend the entire day puttering around, accomplishing nothing, wringing my hands, checking on them, watching them breathe, offering food, syringing food, paranoid as can be, and when they come around and eat and act happy I become Super Human and clean stuff, do stuff, get stuff accomplished. It's like a shot of pure adrenaline....and when they have a bad day again I deflate and go back to the puttering, hand wringing thing I was a day or two ago.
Did the vet mention perhaps getting an appetite stimulant down him? It won't "Cure what ails" but sometimes all they need is that initial jump-start to get them eating and realize food = good stuff and they start eating on their own again.
IME dogs that go off food go back on it much easier than cats. I love our dogs and part of my life revolves around them but they're (usually) not as thoughtful or sensitive as cats are when it comes to food = bad. Sometimes cats need extra help in this.
Is he drinking at least?
Sending him my best, and you of course as I can tell you're very emotionally invested and this is bothering you greatly, you're in good company as there isn't a soul here among the regular visitors that doesn't know at least partially the worry and stress you're experiencing. :grouphug::grouphug2::hangin:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I should give him the pill for the worms this month but I wonder if I should do that since he is in this condition. I will have to take him to the vet again this week for more blood tests as I don't know his levels of blood sugar now. I called the vet again today and asked if I should maybe lower the dosage but he said to stay on that dosage and just add a syringe of food after the insulin injection.

There are times that I think he has only a few more minutes to live not hours just minutes. And then he stands up and goes here and there. Maybe he wants to hide away and die. I really don't know. I have been giving him Recovery which is canned food high in protein and it should have given him weight but nothing. He is totally skin and bones.

I don't mind feeding him and making a mess etc but I feel like I am torturing him and that is the worst. But as long as he is still alive I cannot stop trying.

And again everyone thank you so much for your support and kind thoughts.