Cat Refuses To Use Any Scratcher

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've posted in the past for ideas, but nothing seems to be working and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. My kitten refuses to scratch anything other than my carpet or couch. He has turned his nose up at the cardboard scratcher, he likes sleeping on the car tree but won't use the sisal post, and he ignores the weath style carpet post. I've tried putting thatt items near or on where he likes to scratch, running when catnip, blocking where he likes to scratch with pillows, and picking him up and putting him on where I'd like him to scratch. He just doesn't want to. He will move away and go right back to using the carpet (or the couch, if I'm laying on it). I don't know what to do to get him interested and I can't just keep buying scratching posts. I don't want to declaw and I don't think he's tolerate nail caps, but I can't have him destroying my furniture. How do you teach a cat to use a scratching post?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my cats loves a scratcher but the other two preferred the carpet
I failed to stop them, no sure if they can be taught to use a scratcher, so I made the attached out of a small piece of leftover carpet and a piece of wood about 18" x 10". I put two blocks underneath at the top so the scratcher is at an angle and covered the top the piece of carpet. Success. As you can see, its well used and cost nothi
20181104_113006.jpg
ng.
20181104_113014.jpg
20181104_113014.jpg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My Ruby's preferred scratching material is, unfortunately, carpet. So I feel your pain. She does have a carpet covered cat condo, which she scratches, so maybe try getting something like that.

How old is your kitten? Will he let you clip his claws? Just removing the tips will help with the scratching.

And please don't declaw. It's not just removing the claw, but amputating part of the toe up to the first joint, which can cause various issues.
Why Cats Should Not Be Declawed
Declawing - More Than Just A Manicure
How To Best Take Care Of Cat Claws

You've probably already read these, but I'll post the links in case you haven't.
How To Stop Your Cat From Scratching The Furniture
23 Proven Ways To Stop A Cat From Scratching Furniture

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I failed to stop them, no sure if they can be taught to use a scratcher, so I made the attached out of a small piece of leftover carpet and a piece of wood about 18" x 10".
V verna davies : Very cool !!! I think my Ruby would love something like that. What type of glue did you use to stick the carpet to the wood?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Diana Faye

Adult Cat
Purraise
My Ruby's preferred scratching material is, unfortunately, carpet. So I feel your pain. She does have a carpet covered cat condo, which she scratches, so maybe try getting something like that.

How old is your kitten? Will he let you clip his claws? Just removing the tips will help with the scratching.

And please don't declaw. It's not just removing the claw, but amputating part of the toe up to the first joint, which can cause various issues.
Why Cats Should Not Be Declawed
Declawing - More Than Just A Manicure
How To Best Take Care Of Cat Claws

You've probably already read these, but I'll post the links in case you haven't.
How To Stop Your Cat From Scratching The Furniture
23 Proven Ways To Stop A Cat From Scratching Furniture
The tree I have has some carpet and sisal, although it's a plushier carpet so I'm guessing he's particular about carpet texture, too. I don't plan to declaw- I never liked it, sorry if that was a little unclear. I was posting late at night trying to divert scratching and was feeling a little stressed.

He's about 5 months now I think. If he's relaxing he'll let me clip them and he is due for another snip, but I've only been dong just the tip because it's hard to see what I'm doing on the little guy. He's not really hard to handle but, he's got that kitten energy. Also have a 2nd kitten who likes to get up close to see what's going on and then they're both distracted and trying to play. I looked at the directions for nail caps but I don't think I could get up to stay still long enough to put them on.

Scratching is his only vice. The other kitten is mischievous, but happily uses whatever new scratcher I bring in, and doesn't seem so inclined to tend to his claws. Me senior was great too- easy to clip, only started to scratch if he needed a trim, and loved the cardboard stuff. I feel like I was spoiled with the best kitty in the world and am just finding out how little I really know.

sperry01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Definitely agree with making your own scratcher out of carpet. My dad made a tree type one when we were kids for our cats and it worked well (it was a different type of carpet than what was in the house though so I guess as to try to deter them from using all carpet the same).
Also, maybe trying spraying some sort of pheromone on the scratcher to attract him to it? Or some sort of anti-attraction spray on the place where he usually scratches to deter him from it?

meowpassion

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yep, agreed with posters above, just try to make the scratcher that has the same or similar material that your cat likes. And you should also pay attention what angle (vertical or horisontal) you cat prefers. From Catify to Satisfy by Galaxy, Jackson: "Location, material and angle preference give you insight into not just your cat’s personality, but also what will work for him as you try to find a more acceptable scratching surface."

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Scratching is his only vice. The other kitten is mischievous, but happily uses whatever new scratcher I bring in, and doesn't seem so inclined to tend to his claws.
My Ruby's vice is scratching too. My basement carpet is ruined, and I hope to replace it next year with something that isn't carpet.

Does your kitten scratch in the same place all the time? Or any and everywhere? If only one place, you could try putting down double-sided tape.

Diana Faye

Adult Cat
Purraise
My Ruby's vice is scratching too. My basement carpet is ruined, and I hope to replace it next year with something that isn't carpet.

Does your kitten scratch in the same place all the time? Or any and everywhere? If only one place, you could try putting down double-sided tape.
It's certain places on the couch (mostly the chaise lounge part or pulling himself up the back) and the edges of the rug under the coffee table. The rug is the same carpet material that is in the bedroom, but that I think is mostly left alone. He will help himself to the box-spring/ mattress if we're hanging out in there. He seems more inclined to horizontal and scratches when I come home, when he walks over from wherever he was, or sitting at the edge of the rug. I don't know what it is about this particular area.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you cover the areas on the couch with aluminum foil? That's what I currently have over the back of my sofa. It looks ridiculous, of course, but it's stopped Ruby scratching there. And any area that foil won't work, maybe cover with a throw, and hope he forgets it's a great scratching post.

Diana Faye

Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you cover the areas on the couch with aluminum foil? That's what I currently have over the back of my sofa. It looks ridiculous, of course, but it's stopped Ruby scratching there. And any area that foil won't work, maybe cover with a throw, and hope he forgets it's a great scratching post.
They like tin foil (I've tried it to keep them off other places). I can try throws to block the area. I'm tempted to roll up the rug for a while and hope he moves on to something else.

tangers40

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I trained Cheese to not scratch in inappropriate places using sticky tape. When I first got her, she tried scratching my couch and my box spring (never understood that one, but oh well), but once I covered those up with tape, she found some other appropriate places (cat tree, door mats) and I could eventually take the tape off.