Cat Refuses To Eat Wet Food.

kayork1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat goes through phases where she will not eat her wet food for weeks unless I lock her up (so her sister doesn't eat it) or I mix in treats or dry food. I read something that said she might be bored with it (her sister doesn't seem to mind...has never had issues with refusing to eat the wet or the dry food). The thing is, I cant't exactly change the brand or the flavor of the food because it is prescription and I don't think they make the wet food in different flavors. They have a high calorie one that has a different texture, but she doesn't need help gaining weight...please help! I don't want to have to constantly be catering to her just so that she won't starve.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
There are a few things you could try. One is as simple as heating up the food in the microwave, so that it’s warm, but not too hot. Some cats find warm food more appetizing.

Since she will eat the food with kibble mixed in, something else you could try is giving her the wet food with kibble, and then gradually decreasing the kibble while increasing the wet food, until she’s on 100% wet food.

If you think it’s a texture thing, if the food is currently chunks or shredded, you could blend the food, to make it a bit smoother.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What medical condition is the prescription diet for? Sometimes a prescription food is not necessary at all. Commerical cat food may be fine as long as you check to make sure that is is appropriate for what your cat has, example low carbs for diabetic cats or low phophorus for kidney disease cats.

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can try sprinkling some toppers over it. My boys love the Instinct rawboost mixers. I take one piece, crush it, and sprinkle it over their food. If I'm trying to get them to eat a wet food they don't like, this usually does the trick. I also have PureBites freeze dried treats that I'll crush and sprinkle.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You might want to check out Dr. Lisa Pierson at Catinfo.org. She has an entire article on getting cats to eat wet food.

In your case, it might be the prescription food that's the problem. I don't know what the issue is, but I've had two cats with CRF, and they were wet food eaters but would not touch any prescription food (tried them all).

All my vets told me that it's more important for the cat to eat than to eat prescription food.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Dr Pierson's article is available on the RH side of her home page (Transitioning Dry Food Addicts) and although the entire article is certainly worth reading the transition tips are towards the end of the article. One that seems to work, most of the time :) for me is the tuna, or I can sometimes even get away with tuna juice. There's also a tuna at sprouts from a manufacturer called safecatch which is supposed to be super low to zero mercury, and I really like the low sodium variety. I tried it and it didn't take long for the Big Guy to tell me he likes the stinkier Chunk Lite tuna, natch (sigh)

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign:

Just make sure she has access to plenty of fresh water and that you see her drink. If she's not a good drinker, maybe think about getting a water fountain.

I think the tuna, kibble mixing ratio, warming, and toppers ideas are all good. And also to find out what's in her prescription food so that you can hunt for another non-prescription food that has the same or similar ingredients. Plus the fact that as long as she's eating, does it really matter that she'll only eat dry? If they do the prescription in dry, then.......

We really need to know what the prescription food is for?

:fish:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kayork1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Most prescription wet food is also available in dry. Have you talked with your vet about this?
We give have both dry and wet. The dry is fed in the morning and the wet is fed in the evenings.

Jackattack0101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found that for my little guy, texture made a difference. He's on a prescription diet for urinary problems and the vet had encouraged me to add a large amount of water to make his food a Chili like consistency. I found that for some reason he wouldn't eat it like this. Finally after a few times of trying found out that he hated it that soupy and found that he will eat it quickly and result if I add less water. Cats can be strangely picky sometimes.

Jackattack0101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a fountain and a few water bowls around the house to help compensate decreasing the amount of water in his food.

kayork1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:welcomesign:

Just make sure she has access to plenty of fresh water and that you see her drink. If she's not a good drinker, maybe think about getting a water fountain.

I think the tuna, kibble mixing ratio, warming, and toppers ideas are all good. And also to find out what's in her prescription food so that you can hunt for another non-prescription food that has the same or similar ingredients. Plus the fact that as long as she's eating, does it really matter that she'll only eat dry? If they do the prescription in dry, then.......

We really need to know what the prescription food is for?

I try to change out their water twice a day but I work and am away from home for hours at a time. We have the Rx in dry and wet...I don't want to give her all dry food because she gets moisture from the wet as well. The Rx food is for urinary issues.

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dr Pierson's article is available on the RH side of her home page (Transitioning Dry Food Addicts) and although the entire article is certainly worth reading the transition tips are towards the end of the article. One that seems to work, most of the time :) for me is the tuna, or I can sometimes even get away with tuna juice. There's also a tuna at sprouts from a manufacturer called safecatch which is supposed to be super low to zero mercury, and I really like the low sodium variety. I tried it and it didn't take long for the Big Guy to tell me he likes the stinkier Chunk Lite tuna, natch (sigh)
Oh my goodness I just read that so wrong: “What the heck are tuna sprouts??” I need coffee!!:lol:

kayork1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found that for my little guy, texture made a difference. He's on a prescription diet for urinary problems and the vet had encouraged me to add a large amount of water to make his food a Chili like consistency. I found that for some reason he wouldn't eat it like this. Finally after a few times of trying found out that he hated it that soupy and found that he will eat it quickly and result if I add less water. Cats can be strangely picky sometimes.
My kitty has Rx food for urinary issues as well. I'm going to try and research to see if there are any other brands that make Rx food for urinary issues. I know that Science Diet (which we had used briefly before getting the Rx) has a urinary formula but it's not Rx, so I don't know if it will work the same as the Rx.

kayork1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What medical condition is the prescription diet for? Sometimes a prescription food is not necessary at all. Commerical cat food may be fine as long as you check to make sure that is is appropriate for what your cat has, example low carbs for diabetic cats or low phophorus for kidney disease cats.
The prescription is for urinary issues. We had briefly used an OTC (if you will lol) urinary food before going on the Rx.

kayork1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Most prescription wet food is also available in dry. Have you talked with your vet about this?
We have wet and dry food in the prescription. She eats the dry just fine and has been eating the wet fine lately as well, from what I've noticed. She seems to go through phases of being picky.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
If she has cystitis urinary issues, then a supplement added to her wet food might help too. I give my cat, Dudley, a supplement that works for urinary problems and also acts as a calming aid (I use it for the calming aspect but am pleased that it also sees to his urinary health). Because I'm in the UK and we have different products available here, I'm going to post a picture of the information/ingredients on the tub for you to look at. Then, you could look up what's available where you are that contains similar ingredients. Every little helps and all that...

81k11p5uGQL._SL1500_.jpg

It seems that the 3 main ingredients in all the urinary/calming supplements I have looked into are N-Acetyl D Glucosamine, L-Tryptophan, and Hyaluronic Acid.

kayork1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If she has cystitis urinary issues, then a supplement added to her wet food might help too. I give my cat, Dudley, a supplement that works for urinary problems and also acts as a calming aid (I use it for the calming aspect but am pleased that it also sees to his urinary health). Because I'm in the UK and we have different products available here, I'm going to post a picture of the information/ingredients on the tub for you to look at. Then, you could look up what's available where you are that contains similar ingredients. Every little helps and all that...

View attachment 221494

It seems that the 3 main ingredients in all the urinary/calming supplements I have looked into are N-Acetyl D Glucosamine, L-Tryptophan, and Hyaluronic Acid.

I don't think she has cystitis issues. The brand of Rx food has a variety of the dry and wet I think that has "calming" on the front of the bag...I'll have to compare ingredients. I was thinking about trying it out actually since my other kitty is VERY skittish. Thanks for the info! :)