cat refuses claw clipping

meandthegov

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

My cat absolutely refuses to have his claws clipped. He has no problem letting me pet his paws when he's relaxing, but if I get close enough to push the claw out, he snaps at the clippers and makes a very annoyed short, loud meow. I have watched countless videos and believe that I am not putting excessive pressure on his paws to make the claw come out. He lets me do this, but if the clippers are near he'll freak. I have raised him since he was a kitten and I can't recall that he had a bad experience with clippers. 

He does have some horns on his pads but I have been told that they are harmless as callouses, though he doesn't really allow me to touch them. Does anyone think that maybe a nail fungus can cause sensitivity? Or does anyone have advice for me? I am not opposed to taking him to a groomer (better them freak him out than me). 

His claws are getting huge and I don't want any problems of them curling under. Moreover, I want him to quit poking me! 

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Part of getting a cat used to having their claws clipped, is allowing them to see the clipper around even when it's not clipping time. Let him see it, smell it, ect, so he will eventually see it as a non threatening item.  Then even if you can just get one claw done at any one sitting, it's a start. There is no need to do them all at once.

If that doesn't work, then perhaps letting a groomer do it is what would work best, rather then putting stress on you and him.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried other nail clippers? Some people use regular human nail clippers. You might be able to conceal them in your hand long enough to do one or two nails at a time when he's sleepy.

If you can't clip them, it's not an absolute necessity. As long as he has a scratching post, mat, etc., he uses, he can take care of his claws himself.

purplemilkywayy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Part of getting a cat used to having their claws clipped, is allowing them to see the clipper around even when it's not clipping time. Let him see it, smell it, ect, so he will eventually see it as a non threatening item. 
That's what I did. I held the clipper out and let him smell it. But he was never scared of it to begin with. I was actually able to trim all of his claws on the second day I got him. I've noticed that he cooperates more when he's sleepy.

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you tried other nail clippers? Some people use regular human nail clippers. You might be able to conceal them in your hand long enough to do one or two nails at a time when he's sleepy.

If you can't clip them, it's not an absolute necessity. As long as he has a scratching post, mat, etc., he uses, he can take care of his claws himself.
I have the same problem with Pia as the OP. Thanks for this suggestion! It's the clippers she's scared of, not me touching her paws. Cats are weird.

She is keeping them filed down enough not to overgrow or anything, but they're still long enough that she snags them on stuff sometimes, so I'd like to be able to keep them a little more trimmed down.

carlthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad I started when my kitten was really young. I would play with his paws for a bit and give him lots of love and treats before I start clipping and would only do one paw at a time with breaks in between. My cat is 8 months know and doesn't love nail clippings but doesn't fuss and know I won't hurt him. 

I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't trim his claws because groomers aren't cheap and it is something you can't avoid. 

I really hope that you can figure something out. This site has helped me so much =)

gingercatface

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took mine to the vets yesterday to have it done professionally by the vet. She informed that the risk people run is hitting the blood cells that make their nails sensitive. I had no idea prior to that.

My little dude has really weird bent backed as if they have been broken but the vet said he was in no discomfort other than when other people (besides myself) touch them but as soon as the vet went to cut his nails he was crawling and growling (didn't know cats growl)

Could never do them myself.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
It takes two of us; I'd never even think about doing it by myself.

Both Mollipop and Tabby have their claws. Tabby is a dream to clip claws...she just lays in my arms, we clean her ears out, then we do her claws. She lays there and Rick clips. A lot of times, once her ears are finished, she'll actually start to purr; I think she knows she's almost finished.

Molli? Dear heavens, I don't know what happens to my sweet little angel. She sees those clippers and my darling baby turns into the cat from.....well, you know. She's like a whirling dervish in my arms, snarling and growling the whole time. We consider ourselves lucky if we can clip 6 claws at one time...and I don't get scratched. That's a good day! Rarely, and only rarely, do we manage to get all ten. She always gets them done at vet. Always. When we know it's close to time for her vet visit, we leave her claws alone and let the vet take care of them....she already hates the vet anyway, might as well let the vet be the bad guy.

Last edited:

gingercatface

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How often should you have them clipped? I didn't realise how little I knew about them in terms of grooming and care.

sarahliz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Chowder tolerates it for the front, but for the back we make a 'cat burrito' with a blanket and pop just his back paws out for clipping. You could try a cat burrito!

Last edited: