Cat redirecting aggression onto me

luciafernanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is indoor, although I'm under increasing pressure to make her indoor/outdoor that's another issue...maybe.

My room backs onto the garden and there's lots of cats in my neighbourhood. Now it's getting warm, there are an increasing number of cats fights at night. My cat doesn't go out, and so when she hears these fights, she feels threatened and attacks the nearest moving thing...me.

Last week I was getting ready for bed and a particularly vicious fight started. I looked at Lucia, she gave me a very strange look which told me "get out of here now", but I was foolish and stuck around thinking she wouldn't really attack me...but she did, and I ended up in A&E last Saturday because one of her bites was infected.

It was frustrating but I figured I was awake and moving and had made eye contact, so thought that was why she attacked. Surely if I was sleeping she wouldn't have seen me as the threat...

Well the other night she woke me up by biting my leg and scratching and hissing. Not in a playful way, in a way that made me drip blood onto my bedsheets. It was just one quick attack, and I covered myself with my duvet (which was way too hot to keep up) and she calmed down immediately.

But I really can't have my cat doing that! Twice in a week...and what if she had been by my head, and attacked my face while I was sleeping? I don't mind scars on my legs so much, but not my face!

And just now, a neighbour's cat came into our garden. Our cat Billy was sleeping on a chair, and he chased this cat away...but Lucia saw it, and turned around to look at my parents and I. Gave us all a weird look...and we ran out of the room and locked her in the lounge because I know that "look" now. But it seems insane to run away from a cat!

Does anyone have any tips for redirecting aggression?

I know the obvious tip is locking her out of my room at night, but my situation is a little strange. I live with my parents and their two older, indoor/outdoor cats. My cat and I moved in last September and it's meant to be temporary, but living in London, not being a millionaire, and rentals often not allowing pets means we're stuck here for a while longer. Lucia has her litter and food in my room so she is locked in with me at night. She's usually really good and sleeps the whole night through. Billy and Max are old and it's not fair to keep them in the kitchen over night, plus Max had cystitis recently due to stress so needs to be able to get outside at night as they don't have a litter tray.

So either I make Lucia an outdoor cat which I really don't want to do, or I find out how to redirect her aggression. We tried Feliway before but I don't think it had much effect, but maybe the room was too big. My room is smaller so it might work. I'm also going to get her soft paws, because even if she bites me, it might be easier to pick her up and move her away if I only need to watch out for her teeth and know I won't be slashed by her claws. We're also getting a new cat flap soon, the kind that is activated by microchip so only the boys can get out, but I know they're not foolproof. But when we have that hopefully I won't need to lock her in my room at night. But until then?

So if anyone has any tips for how to deal with nervous cats redirecting their aggression onto you, I'd appreciate it...

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here is an article on redirected cat aggression

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/re-directed-aggression-in-cats

Also do you leave the windows open or curtains open at night?  If so I would keep them tightly closed.  She may still sense them, but keeping the blinds tightly closed with lose the visual signs. 

They sell motion activated air puffs that spray when an animal gets too close.  It's just a puff of air.  They also sell motion activated sprinklers.  This helps to keep other cats out of your yard.  Not sure this will work at all since your parents cats go outside.

Have you looked into Composure liquid max calming supplements?  I would definitely try a feliway again. 

Is your cat spayed?  What about your parents cats are they spayed/neutered? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luciafernanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I'd found a few articles about redirected aggression but not that one - will read it now.

Yeah, curtains and windows are all shut, although she can easily jump under the curtains and onto the window sill. No getting around that.

All cats are spayed/neutered.

I will get some of the Composure stuff now. Hadn't heard of that, thanks.

luciafernanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
wow Composure is EXPENSIVE 

It's really good though?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

wow Composure is EXPENSIVE 

It's really good though?
You can get the liquid or the treat formula.  Some cats don't like the treats and it takes a lot of treats to notice a difference.  It also takes a few days or more to work.  It helps some cats and not others. I used it successfully on a territorial aggressive cat.  He was on it for over 6 months.  To start you want to double to dosage and then work your way down.  I find the liquid works faster and works longer and is easy to mix into wet food. 

I would work on a way to stop her from getting under the curtains.  Place bricks or heavy books on the the bottoms or clamp them down. 

luciafernanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been looking for it online...I can only find places that ship it from the US and I'm not sure what customs would think about that?! I think I'm better finding another supplement that is readily available in the UK.

I've found these:

http://www.viovet.co.uk/Calmex/c15224/?quick_find=141194&gclid=CLGGj4uAocYCFUcOwwod7qYF0A

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-behaviou...r-calming-spot-on-for-cats-3-pipettes-p-21031

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-behaviou...7_150/kalmaid-250ml-anxious-pet-remedy-p-1370

Need to do some research on them...

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not familiar with those products so you will need to search around.  I think that I would first try to block the curtains since even if you get a calming supplement, if she can still see the cats she is still going to react. 

luciafernanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Zylkene and KalmAid tablets seem to have the best reviews but I don't want to mix two supplements as you can't know how they'll interact...going to try Zylkene and Feliway first.

Hmm...she's attacked before when I know she hasn't been able to see the cats outside, because she came out from under the bed, but you think it is a significant trigger? I am not really doubting you, just wondering how I'll be able to keep the curtains shut haha...they're not long enough to have weights put on them to keep them shut. I think the only way is to get some heavy duty electrical tape and stick them to the wall, which will probably ruin the paint. But if it keeps her calmer and stops her from attacking me, it'll be worth it.

Last edited: