Cat Recovering From Urinary Blockage Won’t Eat Prescription Food

rebochan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Long time no post. Carter recently went through a near total urinary obstruction requiring hospitalization with a catheter to unblock him. He came back with orders to eat only Hills c/d wet... which he sort of ate for a few days before giving up on it. He also got a UTI from the catheter and started a ten day series of Clavamox, on which he struggled to keep food down and got diarrhea. By this point all he wanted to eat was Lorelei’s Costco dry, and I had no real choice, though I mixed in some of the Hills c/d dry which he dutifully ignored.

After another episode yesterday where we determined he’s still having inflammation of the bladder, he was sent home with more medication and lost his appetite entirely. Called the Vet, they told me to remove the new antibiotics and one of the painkillers. His appetite is back aaaaaand he only wants Costco dry of course.

I’m losing my mind, I already got scolded at the vet for his eating habits, but I can’t let him go into liver failure. I need advice on getting him to eat the prescription food, he had a LOT of crystals and sand in his bladder and his urethra is apparently very small and under high risk of another blockage. I’m tearing my head out trying to get him eating right

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Can you try some toppers, alone or mixed in to the canned food? Or some other canned food, mixed with the 'scrip food?
  • Tuna
  • Bonito flakes
  • Mackerel
  • Sardines with no bones
  • Goat milk or no lactose cow milk
  • Tiki cat has a Stix topper mousse
  • Applaws tubs or cans
  • Other pouch foods
  • unseasoned boiled chicken or turkey
  • baby food with no onion or garlic
  • Fancy Feast Broth pouches

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is going to go on repeat, but if you can do anything to entice him to wet food and not dry, that's a huge start even if it's not prescription. Hydration will dilute the urine, even more than just a water fountain would. Cats are meant to get their moisture from their kills.
Fortunately Tom loves all food, but we never put him on prescription after his blockages. Kicked him off kibble asap and onto canned, and then his cans were killing my budget so I make him raw home made. We lowered his pH a ton (he was at an 8 with crystals) but then he ended up blocking over cystitis so we got him the surgery because we couldn't keep affording his emergency visits and treatment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rebochan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The worst part is for a long time Carter was wet food only because he had constipation issues! Then it started getting to a point where he would have soft stools after being on wet too long so I eased him onto dry and then of course this happens instead. It's nuts though, he's never been a picky eater in his life. I've added extra water bowls around the house in addition to the already present water fountain and I have seen him drinking more (yay), but I'll give some of those toppers a shot too. All the good pet stores are closed today, but I can get a little can of Fancy Feast that I know he likes for tonight and see if I can trick him into eating some of the anti-crystal food.

Meanwhile Lorelei is just eating all this food that I can't let go to waste, so at least one of the cats is eating right...

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
but I can get a little can of Fancy Feast that I know he likes for tonight and see if I can trick him into eating some of the anti-crystal food.
Meanwhile Lorelei is just eating all this food that I can't let go to waste, so at least one of the cats is eating right...
Go Lorelei :thumbsup:
:vibes::crossfingers: Keeping my fingers crossed for you and Carter!!

rebochan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well he just ate most of a can of Fancy Feast Medley, so I’ve confirmed he’s okay with wet food again. Next step, tricking him into eating the wet prescription food. Tomorrow when the stores open up again, I’ll get some Tiki Cat pouches and try sneaking in spoonfuls of the prescription diet.

rebochan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, and Lorelei ate most of a can of the stuff Carter refused to eat this morning, lol, little does she know that's also healthy for her mwahaha

Jackattack0101

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are there any other prescription foods your vet recommended to help? My boy's on the Royal Canin SO Urinary wet food. He seems to eat it pretty well the majority of the time. In true cat fashion however, there are days where he won't touch it. I also mix in a little of the same prescription food but the dry formula in it too which he seems to enjoy a lot more. He's been on it for the past month since his episode and is doing very well. The only drawback I've noticed is making sure he doesn't pack weight on as it seems to be pretty heavy food